Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

advice for best route to take... 2008/3/22 18:36
Hi everyone,
We want to do a loop of part of Japan in our ten day trip. We arrive and depart from Osaka.

We thought we'd go straight to Tokyo, then Takayama/Kanazawa, Kyoto, Nara, then back to Osaka.

From Tokyo, should we go to Takayama THEN Kanazawa, or Kanazawa first followed by Takayama?

OR, should we do the whole journey in reverse: Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Takayama, Tokyo, Osaka?

We'd be REALLY grateful for any advice... we're travelling 5-15 April and need to book accommodation!!

Thanks very much...
by ping  

. 2008/3/23 13:26
On the assumption that you'll use the Japan Railpass, I'd say it makes little difference no matter which route you may take.

From my personal experience, Switzerland and New Zealand are superior to Japan in terms of landscape seen through the train window, though Japan has various culturally interesting stuff in many places.

One thing I'd like warn you is that in case you travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa via Echigo-Yuzawa, you need to pay a 1,450 yen surcharge for Hokuetsu Kyuko Line use even if you have a valid JR pass.

If you don't want to pay another 1,450 yen, go to Kanazawa via Maibara.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread