Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling and Living in Tokyo 2008/3/23 13:59
Hello,
I am an exchange student flying into Narita on the 27th. I have a hotel from the 29th, but have been unable to find a place to say for the 27 and 28th. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to stay. Additionally, I need to be in Kyoto by April 3rd and I didn't know if I should get a JR pass or not. I probably will want to explore Tokyo, but didn't know if there was enough time or if it was price efficient to buy a JR pass. Ideas please?

Thank you,
alex
by Alex Strife  

... 2008/3/25 13:58
- I assume you have a week or so of time on your own before you settle down in Kyoto for some time as an exchange student.
- Would you be making long-distance trips within a 7-day period before you settle in Kyoto? When I say "long-distance" I mean something on a scale of a round-trip between Tokyo and Kyoto on Shinkansen trains, or going all the way over to Hiroshima on Shinkansen then coming back toward Kyoto, stopping at Himeji, Osaka, then to Kyoto. (If you have 7 days, and if you plan your travel to some extent, it can be done.) If yes, then the Japan Rail Pass makes sense in terms of cost. If you plan on simply exploring in/around Tokyo for several days then traveling to Kyoto, then buying individual tickets will come out cheaper.
- BTW, if you come in on anything other than a Temporary Visitor status (meaning if you come in on a student visa), you would not be eligible for a Japan Rail Pass. You will need to purchase the pass BEFORE you leave for Japan, too.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread