Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Greetings from? 2008/3/25 01:53
How to say "Greetings from ____" in Japanese?

I'd like to learn how to say it politely (a "greetings from my country" phrase to write in a letter for a Japanese host family, for example) and casually ("greetings from Japan" to write in a postcard for a friend).

I was thinking of ____ からご挨拶. My friend suggested using よろしく. But we're not sure if either is correct. Many thanks for replies!
by kasasagi  

... 2008/3/25 14:32
There is no exact equivalent to "Greetings from ...." in Japanese that people use, fore example, on postcards, T-shirts design, etc., so anything that we (including myself) come up would sound at least a bit artificial, or apparently translated from English, but that cannot be helped.

If you want to write casually, for example, if you are starting off writing a postcard from Japan to your friends: Nihon kara konnichiwa! (日本からこんにちは!)(Hello from Japan!)

If you want to write a somewhat formal letter to your host family in Japan before you visit (maybe you are writing to them for the first time?) then for the opening of the letter, you could say something along the line of: "... kara go-aisatsu moushiagemasu." (・・・からご挨拶垂オ上げます)(I humbly send you my greetings from .....). This does sound very polite and formal.

"Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" よろしくお願いします would be something you would add at the end of the letter, conveying the sense of "I look forward to meeting you in person," (while literally saying "Please treat me well/Please take care of me as you please.").
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/3/27 02:19
Thank you for the reply. No wonder I couldn't find a translation anywhere. That's still very helpful, thanks!
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread