Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto 4-Day plan 2008/3/26 09:17
Hello!!!

I will be in Osaka for 5 days next week and I have already made the following plan. Do you think that is very busy? Do you suggest any changes? Do you think that I have to add or replace or skip something?

I should mention that although I am basically interested in Kyoto, unfortunately I will be staying in Osaka because there was no availability in the Kyoto hotels.

1 Day
Honganji & Kyoto Tower, Imperial Palace, Nijo Castle, Heian Shrine, Nanzenji Temple, Philosophy Path, Ginkakuji Temple, Nishiki Market, Gion & Yasaka Shrine

2 Day
Himeji Castle & Kokoen Garden, Kyoto-Sanjusangendo Temple, Kiyomizudera Temple, Gion, Miyako Odori Show, Maruyama Park, Pontocho

3 Day
Nara, Nara Park, Naramachi, Horyuji Temple, Byodoin Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Toji Temple

4 Day
Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ninnaji, Arashiyama (With Sagano Romantic Train, Hozu River Boat Tour, Togetsukyo Bridge, Tenryuji Temple, Bamboo Groves)

5 Day
Osaka – Osaka Castle, Aqua liner cruise. After I have to leave for Takayama.

I would also like to know how much time I need to walk from Sanjusangendo to Kiyomizudera and from Kiyomizudera to Yasaka Shrine.

I have read that Honganji is under renovation right now. Do you think that is good idea to visit it though?

How much time do I need from the train station to the entrance of the Imperial Palace in Kyoto?

Thank you very very very much for your help

Maria
by maroma76  

have fun! 2008/3/27 03:37
1 Day
Might be too much for your first day, especially since you want to visit the Imperial Palace. I didn't see it because it seemed too troublesome since you have to make reservations in advance and make sure you got there on time, etc. Also I've never been to Kyoto Tower, but friends have said it's nothing special. Or since you're going to be in the Higashiyama area you can skip Gion and Yasaka Shrine and see them on day 2. fyi, Yasaka Shrine doesn't close so you can see it whenever

2 Day
Get an early start. The first shinkansen (Hikari) to Himeji leaves at 7:42am. It takes at least an hour each to see Himeji Castle and Kokoen Garden.
If you leave Himeji around on the 11:59 hikari you should get back to Kyoto around 1pm. With good planning you should be albe to see everything you want in the Higashiyama area. Here's the link for the Miyako Odori show: http://www.miyako-odori.jp/miyakoodori/english.html (I'm assuming you're going in April)

3 Day
If you get to Nara early and leave around 1:00pm, you should have time to do everything else. Consider visiting Toji before Fushimi Inari, because Fushimi Inari is still open at night.

4 Day
Looks good. have fun! =)
by yuki k rate this post as useful

Just came from Japan 2008/3/27 22:02
Hi,

Your schedule seems a little too busy for me:)

1 Day
Honganji & Kyoto Tower, Imperial Palace, Nijo Castle, Heian Shrine, Nanzenji Temple, Philosophy Path, Ginkakuji Temple, Nishiki Market, Gion & Yasaka Shrine

Comment: Impearial Palace park is amazing, it took 2 hours for us to walk there and admire sherry blossom. And for Palace, do not forget to book yourself to English-language excursion (starts at 14.00, and takes about 1 hour).

Nijo - again at least 2 hours for this beautiful castle and garden.

Philosopher's walk - locates quite far from centre, ca 20 minutes by subway. Take time there, it is worth to spend couple of hours there.

Gion - 2-3 hours at least.

2 Day
Himeji Castle & Kokoen Garden, Kyoto-Sanjusangendo Temple, Kiyomizudera Temple, Gion, Miyako Odori Show, Maruyama Park, Pontocho

Comment: may be reachable

3 Day
Nara, Nara Park, Naramachi, Horyuji Temple, Byodoin Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Toji Temple

Comment: We took 10 a.m. train to Nara, and were back in Kyoto about 5 p.m. It was rainy day, otherwise stayed until evening.
by girl with dream rate this post as useful

whoa 2008/3/27 23:38
Way, way too ambitious. I agree with other posters that you should skip the Imperial Palace. With respect to Nara, we attempted almost the same schedule as yours, and it was much too hurried. We barely had time to see much of Uji and didn't get to Fushimi Inari at all. I'd recommend prioritizing and cut back on each days locales. You'll find it much more satisfying, and less tiring. It's no fun to see a great attraction when you're too pooped to enjoy it!
by Tay rate this post as useful

Thank you very much! 2008/3/29 22:28
Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it.
I think I will skip Himeji when I will be in Osaka and Kyoto and let it for the last day when I will be returning from Tokyo to Osaka. My flight is at midnight from Kansai, so I will have a whole day to spend there.
Thank you again

Maria
by maroma76 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread