Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Directions to go to the Tokyo Hotel 2008/3/27 02:19
I will go to Tokyo from Nagoya by JR Shinkansen. The Hotel that i will be staying is Daiichi Ryogoku (address: 1-6-1 Yokoami, Sumida-ku).
Could you please inform me which is the better way to go to the hotel?
Is it better to stop to Shinjuku station and then take the train to Shimbashi metro station? Or can I use the same train from Nagoya and stop to an other station (e.x. Ryogoku station)?

I would really appreciate it if you could advice me.

Thank you in advance

Maria
by maroma76  

... 2008/3/27 16:32
I will go to Tokyo from Nagoya by JR Shinkansen. The Hotel that i will be staying is Daiichi Ryogoku.
Is it better to stop to Shinjuku station and then take the train to Shimbashi metro station? Or can I use the same train from Nagoya and stop to an other station

Shinkansen from Nagoya does not stop at Shinjuku station. (It stops at Shinagawa and Tokyo.)
Get off at Tokyo station and change to Chuo/Sobu line. The hotel is 5-6 min walk from JR Ryogoku station.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Shinkansen 2008/3/27 20:28
Is it better to stop to Shinjuku station and then take the train to Shimbashi metro station?

If you buy a ticket of Shinkansen to Tokyo, you can get off at any JRstations in Tokyo with same fare. In this case, using metro will be extra fare.
by miki rate this post as useful

Thank you all 2008/3/29 22:39
Thank you all for your answers.

What I would also like to know is as I have the JR Rail Pass, can I use it inside Tokyo? Or I have to buy different ticket to move around? Lets say the JR Yamanote loop line is included in the JR Rail Pass?

Thank you for your help

Maria
by maroma76 rate this post as useful

JR Pass within Tokyo 2008/3/30 04:58
Yes you can use the JR Rail Pass on any JR line within Tokyo, too. JR Yamanote line the most likely you will use. But also JR lines to Disneyland, Kamakura or Nikko. JR access possible to Hakone area via Odawara.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Hakone 2008/3/30 04:59
BUT not valid within Hakone.

Thank you! 2008/3/30 10:23
Hi Peter

Thank you very much for your reply.
I assume that this means that I won't have to buy one day pass to move around Tokyo. It will be better to pay only single tickets if I want to go to other stations which are not in the JR lines.
Am I right?

Thank you again

Maria

JR / nonJR in Tokyo 2008/3/30 15:16
maroma76,
exactly right. Most you will reach by JR Yamanote line. Typical non-JR are Asakusa ( Yen 160 subway from JR Ueno ) or Odaiba ( Yen 800 day ticket for Yurikamomeline ) from JR Shimbashi.

Thank you very much 2008/3/31 11:23
Hello Peter

Thank you very much for your advice. You are really helpfull

All the best

Maria

JR pass in Tokyo area 2008/4/2 17:51
Can somebody tell me how you use the JR pass within Tokyo ? On the "long distance lanes" I understand that you should better book in advance, and then collect your ticket before boarding. But how does it work for short trips using the yamanote line for example ?
by Cecile rate this post as useful

JR Pass is the ticket 2008/4/2 18:05
Cecile,
You have your JR Pass in hand and you go through the manned gate at the railwaystation. Now you can enter any JR train you want, even the unreserved cars of the shinkansen and express trains. ( But no nozomi shinkansen ) After your arrival you go through the manned gate by showing your JR Pass again.
If you prefer to have a reserved seat on a shinkansen or express train you ask for the reservation at a "Green Window" at any JR station and at that moment of the reservation you will get a small ticket showing car and seat number. BUT this is not the ticket, the JR Rail Pass is your ticket.

Great ! 2008/4/7 22:18
Thank you Peter !
by Cecile rate this post as useful

reply to this thread