Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Not so normal circumstances 2008/3/28 16:32
Where to start... I live in the U.S. I am planning to attend College in Japan. I'm currently taking the test to get my GED, and will be attending a local college to build up my academic record before I transfer which I know will be the best way to assure I get accepted into the college of my choice in Japan, but I have already planned all that part out enough to know what I have to do for that. My question is more about my life situation. I am a single parent of a soon to be five year old boy, he starts school in August. I was wondering if there was anyway that he would be able to also attend some sort of school in Japan. Do they have transfer programs like that for elementary school aged children? I'm unsure of what steps to take with this aspect of my decision. I know it may sound a bit extreme to take a young child to another country for school, but believe me when I say I am planning this as detailed as possible, and wont take chances of actually going through with it unless I am certain its something not only myself, but especially my son can handle. I am trying to look into all options that may be available. He could always stay in the U.S. with family if it came to that, but I am sure he would enjoy the experience just as much as myself which is why I am asking. Any information, or helpful opinions, thoughts, etc would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.
by Trina203  

... 2008/3/28 23:33
I'm not sure if I understand the question, but all children 6 years old or older and _living_ in Japan are basically _required_ to go to some kind of a school, typically a public elementary school of your district (although you do have the legal choice to home-school).

All children who are 6 years old on April 2nd will become 1st graders on that month (school here starts in April). For children that age, language won't be much of a problem, so as long as the principal has a problem, foreign children can attend elementary school with local children in the neighborhood.

However, if you are expecting education in English, you need to look into costly international schools.
by Uco rate this post as useful

typo 2008/3/28 23:35
Sorry.

Incorrect:
so as long as the principal has a problem

Correct:
so unless the principal has a problem
by Uco rate this post as useful

Job? 2008/3/31 23:15
Do you have job skills? You will need a job if you want to live in Japan.
by Hiya rate this post as useful

reply to this thread