Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

marriage in japan while not in japan? 2008/3/29 17:01
hi all. I have heard that it is possible to have my fiance~ who is Japanese submit marriage forms and all required documentation while she is in Japan and I am currently in Australia and have us legally married there. Does anyone know if this is possible? As I am currently stuck in Australia and it would help her immigration to Australia to be with me run a lot more smoothly if we were married.
Thank you very much!
by milky  

Marriage in Japan 2008/3/30 10:04
Milky,

If you are registered as a resident in Japan, all you need to do is sign the form. You don't both have to be present when the form is submitted.
However, if you are living outside Japan are not registered as a resident, it could be more difficult. Your fiancee should ask at her local city office.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Marriage outside of Japan. 2008/3/30 12:25
This isn't a problem at all, if you already married in Australia, but might require mailing some documentation back and forth. Typically they will ask for an official copy of your local, Australian marriage certificate.

Your fiance will still need to check with the local city hall for the requirements might have changed.
by Inago rate this post as useful

Re: marriage while not in japan? 2008/3/30 18:53
Yes, that is possible as long as you have the required documents in the format the City Hall requires it.
When I got married in Japan, I filled in the form and signed it and my wife dropped it off at the City Hall without me being present and that was all there was to it.
I was living in France at the time and my wife picked up a wedding certificate and family register and we had those certified at the Foreign Department but that all depends on what your country, i.e Australia, needs to see as proof of your marriage.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Marriage 2008/3/30 19:15
This isn't a problem at all, if you already married in Australia
Note that you either marry in Japan or in Australia, but you don't marry in both countries :-) After your marriage in one country, you usually register your marriage in the other but often that is not required. However, since the aim is to make her visa status easier, make sure that your wife's brings back the proper documents to be able to file for a spouse visa in Australia.

My wife and I did the same, we had our wedding a couple of months before we had been planning to marry just to make her visa status a lot simpler. 6 months later we had a Shinto ceremony to which we invited all friends and family.

Certificate of No Impediment 2008/3/31 00:59
what did u do about the Certificate of No Impediment? did u get one in france and post it to ur gf?
by milky rate this post as useful

Re: Certificate of No Impediment 2008/3/31 02:42
No, only the embassy in Japan could provide me with that and I visited the embassy. However, they did not have a requirement of seeing me, only a requirement to see the original documents. I phoned the embassy in Tokyo several times and they were very helpful. In the end I faxed them the documents so they could prepare everything and after I showed them the originals, I could pick up the Certificate of No Impediment right away. Phone the embassy, and I'm sure your fiancée can pick it up.

reply to this thread