Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

traveller's cheque in japan 2008/3/30 18:17
is travellers'cheque widely accepted in japan? I intend to buy some for my trip there but worry whether will incur extra cost for encashing or using. Please help me.
by Mary  

. 2008/3/31 09:41
Not its generally not taken, usually at major western hotels, otherwise, you're good changing them into cash at exchange offices.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/31 09:42
is travellers'cheque widely accepted in japan?

Not really. Major department stores, restaurants and hotels will take them. Generally small and medium stores and restaurants will not.

I intend to buy some for my trip there but worry whether will incur extra cost for encashing or using.

Depends on where you use/cash them. You usually get a better rate then cash (although you may cancel the advantage in fees and market fluctuations). Hotels, banks, airport kiosks, and the post office will exchange them.

See some of these past threads:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+28620
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+24050
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

traveler's cheques 2008/3/31 12:45
My first trip I brought traveler's cheques and ended up exchanging them at a Japanese bank for yen the 2nd day I was there (because I found out they would be hard to use). On all successive trips I gauged approximately what I would need in yen and changed my US dollars into yen at a currency exchange office in my hometown before leaving for Japan. It worked out fine. I kept the yen with me while flying by the way, in case my bags got lost and it totally eliminated the chore of having to exchange traveler's cheques while in Japan.
by Steve rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/4/5 01:25
I guess final verdict will still be cash. Thanks guys for all the info, greatly appreciated.
by mary rate this post as useful

Yens!! 2008/4/5 02:25
In 2004 and 2005 I had American Express Traveller Cheques. I bought them in yens, not in US dollars. And to my suprise I didn't have to pay a single yen for exchanging. Cheques with the value of 50.000 gave me 50.000, nothing less. I always exchanged them at a post office, even in small towns.
by Trudy rate this post as useful

Bank card 2008/4/5 02:28
And why not use your credit card or bank card for withdrawel at an ATM? I have Visa and a bank card from my local Postbank (with Cirrus logo) and almost all ATM's accept these cards. The costs are not much, I pay 1,82 euro for withdrawel with my Postbank card and 2,43 euro for withdrawel with my Visa.
by Trudy rate this post as useful

money 2008/4/5 05:29
I agree with Trudy. Bank cards are especially practical now that all the 7-11 have ATMs accepting foreign cards( with Cirrus or/and Plus logos). I use a bank card to get cash and a credit card to pay for hotels and other big purchases.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread