Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anyone been to Himeji Castle? 2008/3/31 13:16
My mum and I have 4 days to spend in Kyoto, we are thinking of spending a day or half day visiting Himeji Castle. Can anyone who has been there tell me if the trip was worth it and is it possible to do the trip in half a day or would it be a whole day outing?
Thanks!
by Lunalesca  

... 2008/3/31 15:21
I went there last week as a half day trip from Kyoto. There isn't too much to see besides the castle so you can definitely do it in a few hours. It's even easier if you have a rail pass as taking the Shinkansen will cut an hour off your travel time.

See this page for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Himeji 2008/3/31 18:00
For anyone who is interested in Japanese culture, military architecture and monumental architecture Himeji is like totally A MUST.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

go-jo 2008/3/31 18:12
I've been there twice - I would recommend it 100%. It's a huge castle, very interesting & authentic, gives you a great feeling of 'samurai' There's also a beautiful garden with lots of lovely Koi carp to visit next door to the castle (can't remember name) if you need something more to justify the trip :) Go, you won't be disappointed.
by furan rate this post as useful

Must see! 2008/3/31 19:11
Himeji Castle was the highlight of my recent trip to Japan. If you catch the bullet train from Kyoto it can easily be done as a half day trip. I found Himeji itself to be lovely city (despite my guide book calling it drab!). The people were extremely welcoming and friendly with even strangers thanking me for visiting their city.

I highly recommend it.
by Zoe rate this post as useful

I've also been there twice 2008/3/31 23:24
I've taken a day trip to visit Himeji castle from Kyoto and Hiroshima in one day. Just leave early in the morning and take the last bullet train from Hiroshima.
by Kaieye rate this post as useful

Himeji is a must 2008/4/1 01:48
Himeji is a must, the castle is amazing. I also highly recommend Kokoen Garden which is right next to the castle. You can purchase a combo ticket to both. It takes about 60-90 minutes to see each and can easily be done in a half day. If you have a full day, you should also consider going to Mt. Shosha which is about 30 minutes from Himeji station/castle by bus.
by yuki k rate this post as useful

AWESOME 2008/4/1 05:53
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IN ANY WAY. WE GOT THERE WITH ONLY ABOUT AN HOUR UNTIL CLOSE SO WE DIDN'T GET TO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS WE WOULD HAVE LIKED BUT WE DIDN'T WANT TO MISS IT FOR ANYTHING. GO ENJOY, YOU'LL BE HAPPY YOU DID.
by STEPHANIE rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/4/1 08:45
Thanks for all the responses, we will definitely check it out :)
by Lunalesca rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/4/16 17:48
Can also recommend visiting Himeji castle. Be advised that you can purchase a combination ticket to visit the gardens next door. Well worth a visit as well.

When I was there a couple were having their wedding photos taken. They were very ahppy to pose for me as well between official photos.

When you get to Himeji castle ask if they have an English speaking guide available.

This is a free service and the guide is a volunteer The guide I had was very knowledgeable and provided a local perspective and much greater understanding of the castle and its history.

Also be aware that you will (like most castles in Japan) have to remove your shoes upon entry and carry them with you on your trip through the castle. Seven stories high and some of the stair cases are very steep..

Don't wear holey socks. :)

by PH rate this post as useful

Highly recommended 2008/4/16 20:50
As many other people have said, Himeji castle is well worth visiting. I went there last week and it was beautiful with all the sakura blooming ^_^ Architecturally and historically it is a fascinating place as well as having a nice garden and providing a great view of the city. Also Himeji zoo is on the castle grounds and costs a mere 200 yen if you are interested in visiting.
by Bobby rate this post as useful

Stairs at HImeji 2008/4/17 03:03
I have never been to Himeji, but planning to visit next month. I also have a mobility impairment and walk with a cane. I can do stairs, as long as there is a handrail and the height of each step is about normal, or a little higher--Can anyone tell me about the height of the steps at Himeji and if there is a handrail on all the staircases? I understand they are very steep, but mostly I', concerned about the height from one step to the next. Also, are there places to sit in the castle and various places on the castle grounds?
by Kev rate this post as useful

some good stores in Himeji 2008/4/17 10:05
Himeji castle is really cool to see, but there are a couple stores in Himeji that I love almost as much. Last time I went there just for the stores. There was a kimono store with really inexpensive yukata (1,000 and 2,000 yen) out in front. There was also a store on the way to the castle (called "Nichiei something begin", I think. I remember "something begin" was part of the name) that had tons of cheap used manga, videogames, and some anime stuff. I recommend checking them out, if you like that stuff.
by mikazuki81 rate this post as useful

Best 2008/4/17 12:28
I have seen 6 of the 12 "original" (original, not a modern reconstruction), and Himeji is the best and most beautiful.

Matsumoto is probably the 2nd best, but Iyo Matsuyama is very beautiful (some of parts of the main keep complex are reconstructed in original materials using original methods)
Hikone Castle is not far from the Shinkansen line at Maibara(near Kyoto), so it is also worth a visit, as it is one of the 4 national treasure castles (Himeji, Matsumoto, Hikone, Inuyama)
by Sandy rate this post as useful

stairs 2008/4/17 14:52
There are hand rails but the steps are narrow (from front to back)and a lot more steep than normal stairs, as this was a castle for soldiers not one for civilians in peaceful times. it is what the French call a "chateau fort" and the Germans a "Burg". The steps are wood ones and a bit slippery(one must remove shoes). There are quite a few flights to the top (4-5 may be?). I am sorry but haven't paid attention to benches in the park. It is quite a long way from the entrance to the castle itself.

stairs 2008/4/17 15:17
check http://www.gocastlesgo.com/CastleStairs.html
for a photo of one of Himeji stairs. They are definitely very steep, as I remember,more like a ladder with about 8" deep steps and a height of may be 8-10 inches between each step.

re stairs at Himeji 2008/4/17 17:17
Difficult if you have mobility problems. There are 6 stories, the stairs are narrow and quite high. Lots of places to sit outside and admire this amazing castle. You should also visit gardens adjoining, built in samurai's houses. Great place - enjoy it!
by Gail rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/4/18 06:07
Thanks for everyone's response about stairs....Now does anyone know if there are places to sit in or around the castle?
by Kev rate this post as useful

reply to this thread