Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt Aso 2008/4/1 20:53
I intend to visit Mt Aso this coming June.

How to I reach the various places from Aso train station? Such as Daikanbo and the ropeway over the crater? What bus to take and how much?

Also, what other good places can I visit in Aso? How to reach these places if I'm not driving?
by Tommy  

Aso 2008/4/3 11:52
I have been there and it's really nice, but I drove.

I hope that this helps. I am sure that there are busses I checked the train schedule from Beppu and this is what I got.

http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi
by Jupiter Rising rate this post as useful

Tommy 2008/4/3 12:13
How to I reach the various places from Aso train station? Such as Daikanbo and the ropeway over the crater? What bus to take and how much?
what do you mean by various places? Ifm sure the bus station, ticket booth, is just outside (close to) the train station. Info is on first link Ifm posted.

Also, what other good places can I visit in Aso? How to reach these places if I'm not driving?
Search the web, even map programs like google earth, for stuff that will interest you (since you wonft provide info to help others suggest locations for you to visit). As for method of transportation.... find out what interest you then ask again (if not search the web).

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4552.html

http://www.manyou-kumamoto.jp/contents.cfm?id=313
by Pouliot rate this post as useful

Aso 2008/4/3 12:31
Hi

I did mention in my previous post that I'm interested in the Daikanbo observation point, and taking the ropeway to the crater. I know there is a bus to the crater ropeway, but i've done an extensive research on the web but found no information of any bus to Daikanbo. That is why I'd like to know how to get there and if there are any buses.

Also would like to know, besides these 2 places, which are the more recommended places to go to in Aso, since there are quite a few to choose from. Would prefer less walking as I'm bringing my parents there.

Thanks.
by Tommy rate this post as useful

Just back from Aso 2008/4/3 19:42
I am just back from Japan and visited Mount Aso.

There is a bus to the ropeway that goes over the crater that leaves from the train station. It also picks up from Aso Youth Hostel. On the way to the crater it stops at the volcano museum. It also stops for 7 minutes at a viewing point but I am not completely sure that it is the viewing point you mention in your post.

From recollection the bus stops at the Youth Hostel at 18 minutes past the hour (please note however my recollection is a bit fuzzy). So it must leave the train station between 5 and 10 minutes before that.

On the way back I have a recollection that we got the last bus back from the crater at 5 o clock.

I think the buses are hourly each way as its a reasonable drive up to the crater.

You will be able to find out about exact times at the train station though - I would just ask someone - most people in Japan are only too pleased to assist. I don't think you will find times on the web as its a local bus service in a fairly small town.

You could spend a whole day just seeing the crater and at the museum. We were only in Aso for 1 night so I can't really help you with what other activities you might want to do.

Hope this helps.

Jen
by Jen rate this post as useful

Thanks the info helps! 2008/4/3 20:20
Thanks Jen so much for the information! It does help me in planning. I would target to be at the bus station in Aso at the exact hour so that I wouldn't be late for it.

Good information too, to let me know that the last return bus is 5pm.

Thanks so much. By the way, did you visit the Volcanic museum? Is it interesting? Does the bus fare cover the whole route or do I have to pay additional fees to stop at the museum?
by Tommy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread