Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

travelling with huge luggage- difficult? 2008/4/2 08:22
My family and I are going to the Philippines this May and we arranged for a stopover in Japan for four days. we'll be bringing big luggage ( 2 BIG rolling suitcases each) since our main intention is to go to the Philippines (which is our hometown). We bought JR rail passes and so from Narita airport, we will travel the train to Tokyo. Then the next day, stay overnight at Kyoto.Then the rest of the days back at Tokyo. Do you think it would be hard to travel from one train to another with that many luggages? Is there a luggage center in Narita Terminal 1 that we can leave our things? If there is, do you know how much it is? Is it safe to leave things there?
by heavy packer  

luggage storage 2008/4/2 16:08
leave the luggage at Narita Airport. A safe baggage storage is available:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_06.ht...
by Peter rate this post as useful

Be a light traveller 2008/4/2 16:34
It is not fun carrying baggage up and down stairs, in and out of busy trains, on and off escalators, and to the hotels. Just leave them at the airport. It is very safe.
by Yoko rate this post as useful

travelling with huge luggage- difficult? 2008/4/2 21:16
YES--VERY!
by wds rate this post as useful

I had a hard time too!!! 2008/4/3 00:50
When I was travelling to Japan for the first time, I carried a huge backpack (60 litres type). And I had a really hard time walking around with it when I reached Narita Airport and shifting from train stations to another cause there are hardly escalators around and stairs all over. So I had to carry the Super Heavy Haversack around. At the end of my 10 days' trip, my back suffered. I had severe backache after my return back home. It's gonna be worse if you have big trolley bags. I am now thinking what kind of luggage I should bring for next trip to Japan...
by Amanda rate this post as useful

Shinkansen? 2008/4/3 01:01
Are you taking the bullet train? If so, I would highly advise against even attempting bringing a lot of luggage on the train.

The doors are very narrow, there's only overhead storage space, and you have about 15 seconds to get all of your stuff in the doors before the train zooms off.

Try to limit yourself to a single carry-on size bag that would fit in a normal overhead compartment.
by Robuda rate this post as useful

taking bullet trains 2008/4/3 01:05
yes we are taking bullet trains. i guess everybody is discouraging us to bring all the luggage so we'll probably leave it in a luggage center in narita.
by heavy packer rate this post as useful

Train Travel with lots of luggage. 2008/4/3 03:44
For those of you that bring a lot of luggage, take advantage of Takuhaibin or Luggage Delivery Service. There's been a lot of discussion on this issue on this website. Look above this post and do a search by Takuhaibin or by Luggage Delivery Service for past discussions.

But, if you have an EXCESS of baggage, storing them at the airport as mentioned above is a good option.
by Harold rate this post as useful

luggage 2008/4/3 04:01
I travel with a 26" suitcases with wheels and have no problems on shinkansens and other trains. I don't take too many clothes and try to avoid white and light coloured ones as they show dirt, stains quickly. Socks and underwear can be washed in a hotel sink (most hotel tubs have a retractable clothesline for drying). shirts and pants are washed in a hotel washing machine.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

reply to this thread