Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Exchange student interview? 2008/4/5 22:43
I'm sure the interviews are different from US and Norway, but I guess some of it is the same.

I'm going on a interview soon and I'm pretty nervous. You see, this is the first time Norway sends students to Japan, so only 2 were able to go. By the way, I'm going there in 2009 if I will be accepted.

What are the normal questions they will ask?

I have studied Japanese by my self for one year and got a teacher two months ago. This is the first time I have tried to learn a language this hard, and this is something I really, really want. I read everything I can find about Japan.

First of all, I want to go to Japan because this is a country I'm really interested in. Learn the language, get friends and learn about the culture.. I'm just 16, so I can't say for sure this is something I'm 100% sure I will work with, but my dream is to have a job where I will travel a lot and maybe live in other countries for a while. Expecially if it is a job in Japan or South Korea (my goal is to learn Korean too). And that is why I think it would be a great experience for me to go to Japan for a year.

Do you think I have a good enough reason to go? I'm really scared to get a no.. :/

And I'm not going bis like the anime. I don't even watch anime..

Sorry if I have spelled some words wrong. I'm in a rush so I can't over-read it. Sorry...
by inkepinke  

relax! 2008/4/9 17:46
I wouldn't worry, you sound very interested and motivated so explain what you just wrote.
Don't worry about anime - I hate anime - but still got over here. you have ambitions so tell them how yo'll benefit from living in japan.
GOOD LUCK!
by student_in_japan rate this post as useful

youll do just fine! 2008/4/10 02:05
i was an exchange student when i was your age. i went from here to the US through one of the major exchange organizations. So i assume you are applying for one-year exchange through an organization? im not exactly sure what they are gonna ask you, but when i had a interview, they asked me just basic stuff like why i want to go and what kind of person do i want to be in the future.. ah then i also had to speak a bit in English. (I doubt they are gonna do the same to you in Norway) anyway, tell them your passion for studying in japan and im sure you will do okay! good luck!

surprised to hear that they never sent anyone from norway to here before.. i know a bunch of norway students around your age coming here for one-year exchange!
by ex-exchange student rate this post as useful

interview 2008/4/10 02:17
Having been an exchange student long time ago I would think that they are more concerned by how you will adapt to a different culture than by your knowledge of a specific country. I had requested Canada and was offered Finland! As it turned out I had a great time but other foreign students from my country didn't because for them anything done differently from back home was automatically a bad thing!. I may be wrong but I don't think that they will ask you questions about geography, culture etc. but rather about you. All the same have a look at the tabs at the top of this page under Travel and Japan A-Z. lots of great stuff there !
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread