Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need help translating... 2008/4/7 10:28
What are the following expression mean?...

お局様

女の癖に

大和なでしこ

新父社会

罰いち
by Johney  

Where did you get those? :) 2008/4/7 19:23
お局様 (o-tsubone-sama): A word used to refer to a woman in a senior position (than yourself) who has a lot of say/power over the workplace. Never to be used to her face or in her presence :)

女の癖に (onna no kuse ni): "Though you are only a woman..." (a type of phrase muttered by a bitter male)

大和なでしこ (yamato nadeshiko): a dainty flower - a compliment used to refer to a modest, humble woman of Japan (often idealized by men)

新父社会: ??

罰いち (batsu ichi) - I think this should be バツいち (pronounced the same) - a person who went through a divorce.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

.. 2008/4/8 00:33
Thanks AK! :D

For the second last one.. Sorry for the typo mistake.. It should be

親父社会
by Johney rate this post as useful

Oh 2008/4/8 07:41
親父社会 (oyaji shakai): It's not a phrase that would appear in dictionaries, right? It would mean a society (or an organization) that is dominated by middle-aged men, or by their typical way of thinking :)

Still I wonder where you found all those words :)
by AK rate this post as useful

.. 2008/4/8 10:28
Thanks for the help..

Those are something I found reading in a Japanese book and I am just curious what they mean... :P
by Johney rate this post as useful

Poem translation 2008/4/8 10:38
I need help with the following:...

Anyone know what is the translation line by line for the second poem and what do these poems mean?

-----------------------------
やせがえる
Skinny frog

負けるな一茶
Don't give up

ここにあり
Issa is here
----------------------------

寄せ返す
波のしぐさの
優しさに
いつ言われても