Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Customs troubles & green line at Narita 2008/4/8 08:54
Ok, so the last time I went to Japan I didn't fill out the customs form I was given in the airplane and I went straight to the green customs line (having nothing to declare of course, just had my personal belongings). I didn't fill out the form because I noticed some other passengers passing through the green counter with no issues at all, not having the form themselves either.

The customs officer was giving me quite a lot of trouble, she was asking me why I was in Japan, who was I visiting, who were my friends, asked me if I had any bombs, guns and drugs on me, illicit substances, actually search through all my stuff looking for god knows what etc. I really don't look suspicious, I'm just a white guy in early twenties, normal looking, nicely dressed etc..

So I wanna spare myself the trouble next time I'm landing at Narita, and I was wondering, is it necessary to submit that wretched form? Will they give me a break if I give them that in the first place?

Thanks
by Robert  

... 2008/4/8 11:08
Are you talking about the Customs Form?
http://www.customs.go.jp/kaisei/youshiki/form_C/C5360-B.pdf
Then I'd say yes, it would be better to fill in that form. It looks like starting July of 2007, everyone is required to submit this form upon return/entry into Japan. So since you did not provide the card, they decided to ask the questions on the card verbally instead. And maybe the "others" who got through Customs with no problem and no questions apparently looked like businessmen (maybe Japanese) in suits hurriedly returning home, so that the officers simply weren't paying much attention?

But regardless of the card, I don't know what triggers the "hey let's ask this one" button in the minds of those customs officers lol. It just happens at times, it doesn't at other times. My husband (harmless-looking, not even bulky or tall European, if I may say lol) was once upon arrival at a UK airport asked "Do you know that it is illegal to bring in drugs into the country?" to which he simply replied yes, was signalled OK to pass through. No big deal.
by ... rate this post as useful

Customs 2008/4/8 11:20
Robert,

My understanding is that customs officials have the right to question and search anyone entering the country for any reason - that is why they are there. This is pretty much universal, and not unique to Japan. It is a common and naive misconception that they only stop "suspicious-looking people".
What can you do? Fill in the forms as required, make sure you don't have anything illegal in your bags, answer the questions truthfully, and stay calm even if you get called aside to have your bags searched.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/8 17:22
Even with the form, there is a good chance that they will search your luggage. I can't remember the last time they didn't give my luggage the once-over, and I'm in my 50s. I would say expect to be searched, and if you are not you should look at it as a bonus.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

customs 2008/4/8 17:37
It would obviously help to fill in the form as it makes you seem co-operative. I don't think it's optional- they give you the form because you are expected to fill it out.

I have been shown pictures of weapons and drugs and asked if I have any once or twice, and been asked to open my bags 3 or 4 times of the 25 or more times I have been in and out of Japan in the last 10 years. It helps to be tidily dressed, I have noticed. It's tempting to laugh at the pictures and questions, but customs officers worldwide aren't noted for their sense of humour, so it's better to take it seriously.

The times I have been searched I was coming back from Thailand or India- no doubt "dodgy destinations" in the eyes of the customs officers.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Arrogance/entitlement 2008/4/8 20:18
Why can't you just follow the rules and fill out the form. So what if others didn't fill out the form.

Just because you really don't look suspicious, a white guy in early twenties, normal looking, nicely dressed they should allow you to freely pass through their security check point?

Follow the rules if you don't like it then don't go there.

The US, Great Britain and most every country all have similar rules, follow them.
by Well Traveled rate this post as useful

reply to this thread