Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura- guided or not? 2008/4/9 22:04
Hi guys!

Well, it's round two of Japan for me, and I'm really excited.

I'm planning on doing a daytrip to Kamakura from Tokyo. Should I consider a guided walking tour (they are about $100AUD) or should I do it myself?

Has anyone been on a tour in Kamakura, and can suggest a good one?

Thanks for your time. : )
by R.  

No need for a guided tour!!!! 2008/4/11 10:29
Absolutely no need for guided tours!!!!!!!!!!!

Kamakura is a very simple town. I suggest you visit the following places:
Kamakura--Hachimangu, Komachi Shopping Street, Wakamiya-oji Street

Hase--Big Buddha, Hase Temple (optional)

Kita-Kamakura--Kencho-ji Temple, Enkaku-ji Temple and Jochi-ji Temple

Bamboo Garden at Houkokuji

All places are within walking distance, except the Bamboo Garden, which is a short bus ride from Kamakura station.

by doggieluver rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2008/4/11 10:36
Thanks heaps! I really apprecitae it.

I just accidently reposted this question- I thought it hadn't worked first time!

Thanks again.

Any idea how long I should spend- a full or half day?
by R. rate this post as useful

Full day!!! 2008/4/13 03:25
You will need a full day. Arrive early and you should be able to cover all major sites before dinner time.
The tourist info booth at the east exit of the Kamakura station is very helpful. However, if you already get hold of a good map before your trip, then I suggest these routes:
-Get off at Hase station. See Big Buddha and (optional) Hase Temple.
-Then, walk for about 30 min on a nice street or talk a short bus/train ride to Kita-Kamakura (if you take the train, you will have to transfer at Kamakura). Visit Engakugi, Kenchoji, Jochi-ji , and Meigetsu-in. All these temples are lined along a quaint main road. You cannot miss them. Also, along this road, there are small cafes and eateries which are also private art galleries.

-Walk along the above mentioned road to Hachimangu. In fact, the walk from Kenchoji to Hachimangu is only 10-15 min downhill.

-Take a bus to the bamboo forest at Hokokuji, or walk from the east side of Hachimagu, if you want.

-Walk up and down Komachi-dori and Wakamiya-oji, both between Hachimangu and Kamakura train station.

Note that most temple grounds close at 16:00 or 16:30.

The area close to Kamakura station is rather touristy and thus restaurants don't offer the best value. Consider buying a bento box at a departo store around Kamakura station and have a picnic.
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

: ) 2008/4/13 20:19
Thanks Doggie, I appreciate the added detail- helps you conceptualise it a bit better with times, distances, etc.

Thanks!
by R. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread