Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 days in August -- First time to Japan 2008/4/11 22:14
My husband and I will be in Japan between 20-28 August We are looking at doing the following, do you think it is possible or is it too much?

20th - arrive stay overnight in Tokyo
21st - go to Hakone area, stay overnight, experience onsen with views of Mount Fuji.
22nd - train to Kyoto.
23rd - go to Mount Koya. Stay overnight at buddhist temple.
24th - back to Kyoto
25th - go to Nara
26th - back to Tokyo
27th - in Tokyo
28th - fly back to London

We haven't looked into exactlly what we will see and places visited, but before I research it any further, I want to have views on whether this looks ok. We are both in our early 30's and like to travel and experience local culture. We'd stay in japanese style hotels rather than western ones.

Any advice appreciated as this will be our honeymoon so want to remember the holiday. Budget is mid-range, we can't afford to stay top end.

We plan to get 7-day JR pass, is that best or better off buying seperate tickets for this trip?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in adance for any hints and tips.

Rav.
by Rav & Nath  

Japan 2008/4/12 21:04
Plan looks ok. The 7 days JR Rail Pass maybe Yen 1500 more expensive than single JR tickets for same route, but gives you more flexibility. Start it on 21th, so it is valid till 27th included and all long distance JR travel is covered. Extra you will need: Narita airport to Tokyo between Yen 1200 and 3100 per way, Hakone Free Pass from/to Odawara and the non JR transport to/from Mount Koya.
Travel light for the Hakone day, you cannot have suitcases, backpacks on the ropeway.
by Peter rate this post as useful

first time in Japan 2008/4/13 06:57
Your itinerary looks good (for Mt Koya from Kyoto you first go to Shin-Osaka then take the Mid-suji subway to Osaka-Namba. enter that question in the "search this site" window to get previous posts). Use www.hyperdia.com to plan train trips. you will have to change the departure hours,remove the check mark by airline and add a check mark to except Nozomi. Koya is Koyasan for Hyperdia.
Seriously consider going to the Fushimi Inari shrine on the morning then to Nara park the afternoon(both are on the JR Nara line from Kyoto. By the way August is very hot and Typhoons are frequent.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

heat in August 2008/4/13 09:08
Don't be too ambitious with outdoor activities, hiking etc. in August. Temps are likely to be around 30-35 deg, perhaps hotter in Kyoto, with over 90% humidity. If you are from the Uk you won't be used to that at all, and it's draining even if you are used to it. Be prepared to sweat buckets.

by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/14 11:28
I would suggest open the JR Pass either on 20 or 22 to get the benefit of using the Narita Express. Either date of opening will be fine because the the first and the last couple days will be stationed at Tokyo. In such case, a return trip from Tokyo to Kyoto by Hikari will be 25420yen, a one way narita express will be 3000yen. Besides, a return trip from Kyoto to Nara will cost a little under 1400yen. Therefore, buying a JRpass will be better than single ticket.
by lester rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/4/14 18:04
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I'm gald to see we're on the right track. I'll no doubt ask a few more questions as I start looking into what to see and do more deeply.

We're aware it's going to be very hot, so we don't plan to over do it. We've both lived in hot climates before and we'll have had a few weeks in Singapore and Hong Kong beforehand, so will hopefully have gotten use to it a bit by then.

Thanks again for the comments and I hope I don't have to bombard this forum with lots of questions later one.
by Rav and Nath rate this post as useful

reply to this thread