Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Honganji temple services 2008/4/12 08:45
On Tuesday morning, mum and I are planning to skip breakfast and head down to Tsukiji market. Depending on when we get there, I was wondering whether we could attend the 7am service at Tsujiki Honganji Temple. I've had a look on the forum and can't see any reference to services. We're not Buddhists, but I went to a service at the temple I stayed at in Koyasan last year. What I'm not sure of is can we just walk in off the street or do we have to ask permission to attend? I found my early Koyasan service beautiful and I'd like my mother to experience one too. Is Tsukiji Honganji the best place to go or would be be better going somewhere else? I'd picked Honganji because of its architecture and closeness to where we're staying.

Also, does anyone know what one should do when we arrive? I know about taking shoes off; is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, I look forward to reading my messages - we fly on Sunday!
by scottishblossom  

ask hotel 2008/4/14 17:33
It doesn't say on their website, alright. I think you should ask your hotel to give them a call and check. Have fun tomorrow!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Jodo-shinshu temple etiquette 2008/4/14 19:40
As a disclaimer, I've never been to a formal service, only the ones we hold for the kids at the temple kindergarten where I work.

As you enter, you should place your hands together and bow towards the central shrine - it doesn't have to be a deep bow, about 20-45 degrees is fine. When you leave, you should turn at the door, bow to the Buddha again, then step out backwards through the door.

As foreigners you won't be expected to sit seiza (kneeling) the whole time (if there are no chairs), but it would be polite to do so whenever the congregation is in 'gasshou' (hands together, with prayer beads looped round the hands over the thumbs) - just watch what everyone else is doing !

Enjoy! Namo Amida Butsu :)

by Sutefu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread