Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a tent and to Miyajima? 2008/4/15 23:57
So in my brilliant and so far non working Golden Week Plans I have hit the fallowing snags.
Keep in mind the idea of this trip is to get the price down to next to nothing for the duration of the week.

I am trying to find some sort of tent for less then the 2000yen it could be rented to me at. I can't really afford nor is it practical to buy one as I would like to do, so I am wonder if there are other options to getting a hold of one?

Also
I would like to find the cheapest possible way to get to Miyajima, thus far I have the bus at 7000 yen round but am looking to push it lower if I can.Time matters little too so if your way is cheap but takes an eternity I don't mind.

Ideas suggestions ect are helpful.
by Caro  

... 2008/4/17 00:06
So in my brilliant and so far non working Golden Week Plans I have hit the fallowing snags. Keep in mind the idea of this trip is to get the price down to next to nothing for the duration of the week.

Best way to get the price down to nothing is not to travel during the same times as major holiday seasons. Unfortunately golden week is one of the worst times to travel in terms of cost. Some places raise prices, and even if they don't the volume of travellers is high enough that the cheaper places book out quickly.

I am trying to find some sort of tent for less then the 2000yen it could be rented to me at. I can't really afford nor is it practical to buy one as I would like to do, so I am wonder if there are other options to getting a hold of one?

Low end 2 man tents can be bought at home centers for 2000-4000 yen. Sekichu, Beisia or Cainz Home come to mind as places that I've seen them for sale at this price.

Also I would like to find the cheapest possible way to get to Miyajima, thus far I have the bus at 7000 yen round but am looking to push it lower if I can.Time matters little too so if your way is cheap but takes an eternity I don't mind.

Bus is often the cheapest, especially during Golden Week, and overnight bus is even better as it covers a night of accommodation as well. If you can travel during another time then the Seishun Juhachi Kippu is an even cheaper method of travel but only available 3 times a year. See here for more details:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/17 00:10

Just reread this part and realized that you are looking for at tent for less than 2000 yen. This comment worries me. If you can't afford a 2000 yen tent then you may want to consider other countries where your money will go farther once you are on the ground.

What exactly is your travel budget for your entire trip?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

a TENT??? 2008/4/17 02:35
there is another angle to the tent thing in Miyajima and other places! camping grounds aren't that easy to find if one travel by trains or buses. they also charge a fee. Wild camping (not on camping ground) is definitely not recommended, especially on Miyajima, a heritage island.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Tent? 2008/4/17 03:11
Why not stay at an internet cafe instead? They also provide public showers and you can get unlimited free drinks.

There's one right beside JR Hiroshima station, it's literally a 2 minute walk away. Take the South exit, and turn left at the street, and then you'll see an elevator on the left side. Take that elevator up, and it'll take you to the internet cafe. Sorry, I don't remember which floor it is.

If you want go to go Miyajima, you can hop on the train and get there for 400 yen (it'll take around 20 minutes to get there), or you can take the streetcar and pay 270 yen but it'll take over an hour.
by Kaye rate this post as useful

Me too.. 2008/4/17 17:34
I'm planning to go to miyajima by bicycle and I have a 2 persons tent. So If you have a bicycle too we can share that journey.
I'm staying now in Kyoto, and I plan to leave the city forwards Hiroshima area arround 1st of May.
Sebastien
by sebbastien rate this post as useful

reply to this thread