Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kagor (Cahors) wine - common in Tokyo? 2008/5/1 05:24
Hi!

Does anyone know whether the ''Kagor'' (or also ''Cahors'', it should be the same... I hope) dessert wine is easily available and COMMON in Tokyo (or at least in Japan)?

I thought about bringing this wine as a gift but it may not be so good idea if this wine was common and already nothing interesting in Japan...or so I guess. =) It's not any expensive, but is of very sweet and uncommutable taste. Preferably from Moldavia.

Does anyone know about it?

Thank you!
by .Den  

. 2008/5/1 16:12
No, it is not common, and very hard to find (though Google result shows that it is available in some very special wine shops.)
Most people do not even know what Kagor is.

Sweet desert wine known in Japan is French one (Sauternes) and Hungarian (Tokaji), you can find many different wines from France, Spain, Australia, Chili, and US (California) in Tokyo.
Wines from other countries are harder to find.
by . rate this post as useful

Cahors and Kagor not the same wine 2008/5/1 16:15
Cahors is a medieval town in the Southwest of France, east of Toulouse. The wine is known by French wine connoisseurs and is definitely not a dessert wine but a regular wine, good with numerous dishes.Depending on the reputation of the wine
grower and the vintage of a given bottle it is relatively cheap or moderately priced. I wouldn't surprised if the best food floors in the best department stores in Tokyo were selling it. You can Google "Cahors wine" for more info. Kagor is a dessert wine from Moldovia, made with grapes varieties from Western Europe, and not very likely to be known in Japan or anywhere else.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thanks!! 2008/5/1 19:43
Oh, I didn't know they are different (I know almost nothing about wines), it's just that I was trying to find "Kagor" on Wikipedia and the link for "Kagor (wine)" forwarded me to "Cahors" wine...
The one I have in mind is KAGOR.

I'm happy to hear it isn't common in Japan. I may bring a bottle with me then.

Thank you!
by .Den rate this post as useful

reply to this thread