Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Study Abroad decision 2008/5/1 11:49
So i'm gonna study abroad in Japan for a year. I have to choose between Akita International University(Akita City) and Sophia University(Tokyo City). Do anyone have any experiences and recommend one over the other?
by asianguy88  

Country or City? 2008/5/1 14:30
Akita International University is in the middle of nowhere, all the way up in Akita. The weather is cool all year round and the winters are freezing with a lot of snow.

If you like cold weather, then Akita is a beautiful place with amazing scenery.

I don't know about the education, but at most Japanese universities the students never study that much anyway. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about the school, so its probably fine.

Sophia in Tokyo is one of the best universities in Japan, in terms of rank. As a study abroad student, you will be put into the international section (i forget what they call it) along with other international students. Actually I think the international students study on a different campus than the Japanese student? So basically you just take classes with other study abroad students, which makes it hard to interact with the Japanese students and learn the language. I don't think its worth it, itf your only going to stay for a year.

If your only going to stay for a year and you want to really immerse yourself in the Japanese language and culture, then I would go to Akita International University. I think the majority of the students are Japanese, so you'll study along side them and be able to pick up more of the language.

Tokyo is nice, but its not really Japan. To really experience Japan, you need to go outside of the big cities and in Akita I think you would be able to do that.
by Gaijinjland rate this post as useful

that is true, but... 2008/5/1 19:26
...I think that if you're young and like to be near concerts, entertainment, etc. on a regular basis, and generally like the buzz of a big city, then Sophia is better, in my opinion. That is the same problem I had when I had to choose where to go (between Nagoya and Tokyo), though Nagoya is also a big city, but I'd loved Tokyo when I went there :) It depends on your personality. Some people love Tokyo, some will feel suffocated in the city. THink about how you might feel :) Because it can be very annoying, I know from past experience, when you sort of get stuck in the same place all the time, with not many places to go to :)
by Mii rate this post as useful

Cheap flight to Japan 2008/5/5 00:20
Hi Hi...^^

I will be going to Akita International University this Aug 2008 for one semester.. so if I have any info during my stay, I'll share it then... (Provided you going to study abroad next year) -_____-"

So, in the mean time, anyone has experience on AIU that would like to share?? I'm really looking forward studying there..^^

Right now, I'm still stuck on finding cheap flight from Singapore to Japan/Akita. Anybody has idea how to find cheap ways to go there? Should I buy return ticket or one way ticket since I'd be staying in Japan for around 4-5 months? Anyone's help in this matter would be very much appreciated..

Arigatou gozaimashita..^^
by MeriMei rate this post as useful

school... 2008/5/6 02:34
you should check out Tokyo International University. They have a great program. you'll def learn to speak japanese very well by the end of the year
by jbalsamo rate this post as useful

To MeiMei 2008/6/4 00:45
How exciting. I am going to Akita at the same time you are. Maybe we can become friends. Anyway, I can't really suggest anything about airplane flights. My school is paying for my trip there. They told me that the tickets were worth 3,500 dollars. O_O. I am pretty sure you can find something a lot cheaper. Just shop around online. I think it's cheaper if you buy the tickets way before you need to go. Hope that helps a little. Bye.
by Shannon rate this post as useful

To Shannon 2008/6/6 13:51
Hi, Shannon. Appreciate your info. Haha, yeap.. I think we can be friends. My email is mei985@yahoo.com if you want to talk further..^^

See you around then. Can't wait to be there soon..;p

- 2008/6/7 06:01
MeriMei, are you a s'porean? Can I know what programme are you in?

Mind telling how you apply and stuff?
by pam rate this post as useful

singaporeans? :D 2008/6/7 22:06
meri: can i ask if is this part of your school's programme or your own planning?
by cloud9 rate this post as useful

To whom it may concern..;p 2008/6/8 05:41
Hmm.. I'm Indonesian studying in Singapore. I'm going to AIU for one semester to study Japanese there and so far, I'm in the process of applying COE for College Student Visa. I plan the whole thing by myself, of course you need to get your lecturers' letter of recommendation and signatures to apply for the program.

For the prochedure, it's quite straight forward. Just follow what stated in AIU application form but you need to be in University. I study in LASALLE College of the Arts in which I can stop at the 3rd year Diploma and come back again after 1 year to continue my last year for degree.

So, the 1 year "holiday" I can use to study Japanese there.

Well, I hope this info clears your doubt, although just a little.. ;p.. Anyway, if you have any further questions, feel free to contact me either via this forum or my personal email. I don't really chech this forum every day so please bear with my late reply.

Jya, mata ne..

I'm also going to AIU 2008/7/30 13:59
Hello! I'm also going to AIU this coming August 2008!
by Nadine rate this post as useful

Hi Nadine..!! 2008/7/30 23:59
It's so amazing that there are 3 of us known each other from this forum even before we go to AIU.. haha..

So, the time is coming huh? May I know where are u from? Btw, u can contact me further via my email if u want.. =)

Jya, mata ne.. ^-^
by Meri rate this post as useful

Any idea how to get to Akita? 2008/8/3 02:03
Yeah,it was pure luck that I came across your conversation with Shannon online while I was surfing the net! Hey I was just wondering, do you have any idea how to get to Akita? I've been researching in the internet for the past weeks and I'm still so confused with their train lines because I found out that there is actually a lot. How do you plan to get to Akita? So far, all I know is that we have to take the Narita Express from the airport and Komachi is the train to Akita. Hope you could help me out. Thanks.

I'm going to AIU too! 2008/8/3 05:41
I just randomly came onto this post and saw that a few of you are going to Akita. =)

I was wondering when you guys/girls will be arriving in AIU? I will be arriving late. On Sept 2nd. =S

Anyways, I hope we can be friends and explore places in japan together! I definitely want to do a lot of traveling but is weary of traveling alone. Here is my contact:

schen0215@gmail.com

by S rate this post as useful

From Narita to Akita 2008/8/3 18:38
Hi Nadine..

You can refer to this link for ways to Akita from Narita. It has useful information.. ^-^

I myself might go for the night bus option..

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+53484

To S:
I'll arrive quite early in Narita and definetely will arrive in AIU on 25th August. You'll miss the one week orientation and regitration, then.. -____-" Personally, I think that one week is quite important for us the newcomers, ;p

Nevertheless, hope all of us will enjoy our stay in AIU.. ^-^
by Meri rate this post as useful

really? 2008/8/3 23:26
Night bus? Really? I guess it's 10000 Yen cheaper and only 3 hours slower than going by shinkasen. I am thinking about taking the bus too, but I'm already running late, so I guess I should spend a bit more money to arrive as early as I can.

I really hope I don't miss too much during the orientation week. =(

To Meri & S 2008/8/4 01:04
Meri, we are arriving in Akita on the same day (Aug 25th!:D) My schoolmate and I will arrive in Tokyo on the 24th. We are still trying to decide whether to take the bus or the shinkansen since the bus fare is a lot cheaper than the shinkansen! When are you planning to book your night bus ticket? Do we have to make prior reservations?

Hi S! I also want to do a lot of traveling! I sure hope we could all get to travel together!

To Nadine 2008/8/4 05:17
=) That sounds really fantastic! I'm so excited about japan! really can't wait!

Collage of Animation 2008/8/4 05:23
Im trying to find a great animation school so i can be a writer for the scripts of the animation and also i want to take 1 or 2 courses of Drawling animation since i started drawling when i was 14. Since im a book writer in my free time with out plublishing them i like to write scripts so im wanting to find a great animation school in Japan to go to for collage.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Flight and greetings 2008/8/4 08:10
Wow. It's nice to know two other people who are going to the school. I am worried about traveling alone too. S,the first week of school is very important. The faculty helps you with adjusting to Japan and gives you an overview of the school. If you come late, it might be hard to adjust.

By the way, I am from America. I will be traveling to akita by plane and bus. After reaching Narita I will go to Hanada by bus and take a plane to I think the Akita airport. I will be traveling with two people from my school who are also going to Akita.
by shannon rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread