Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

yasumen? 2008/5/2 09:37
One of my friends sent me a mail about Golden Week, and how he is off work but has to do a lot of stuff so it is "休めんのかなと"

I've never seen the phrase before and was wondering if it was a contraction of "yasumi" and "mendokusai", for a vacation that isn't really one. XD; Google didn't turn up many hits, it could be kansai ben. Thoughts?
by Kate  

. 2008/5/2 11:42
It means Yasumeru-no-kana-to, i.e. "(I wonder) if i can take a holiday".
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Kansai ben 2008/5/2 12:15
Kansai ben is used in that phrase. Because the meaning depends on the context, i will write the phrase in Tokyo ben meanwhile.

"休めないのかなあと"

If this doesn't help, please write all the sentences.
by lonitary rate this post as useful

whole sentence 2008/5/2 14:26
Here is the whole sentence, if you want it in context:

ゴールデンウィークは一応休みあるけど代わりに嵐闢ってるからなぁ…休めんのかなと(笑)

I think the first example makes sense in context anyway. :)
by Kate rate this post as useful

I agree with lonitary 2008/5/2 14:48
"yasumen" is Osaka dialect for "yasumenai" (cannot rest).

So "yasumen no kana to (omou)" - "omou" or "omotte iru" (meaning "I believe/think...") is omotted at the end of the sentence - means "I suspect I will not be able to rest."

- During Golden Week, I have some days off work but those days are packed with plans... my suspicion is that I probably won't be able to rest...
by AK rate this post as useful

ah, I see 2008/5/2 14:52
Thanks guys! That was really confusing for me, but I understand now. ^^;
by Kate rate this post as useful

yasumen 2008/5/2 14:53
Kate,

lonitary was probably trying to be helpful, but your phrase is just a colloquial contraction of "yasumeru no ka na to", as Meringue (a native Japanese speaker) already posted.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

sorry, Dave is right 2008/5/2 15:54
yes, i was wrong. i thought "休めんのかなと" is Kansai ben. but looking at "ゴールデンウィークは一応休みあるけど代わりに嵐闢ってるからなぁ", he is not Kansai ben speaker for sure. it's just Tokyo ben.
so the translation should be "休めるのかなと".
one of the difference between Tokyo ben and Kansai ben. sorry, again.
by lonitary rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/2 16:27
Oh. Then it could be "yasumeru no kana, to" (I wonder if I can rest). Sorry.

Either way he is wondering if he can truly rest, or not rest, during Golden Week :)
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread