Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Online University Degrees? 2008/5/2 16:12
so i have found that a BA in any subject is a requirement for a work visa for an American to work in Japan -- does anyone know whether online degrees are acceptable? for example, Univ. Berkley offers online courses, and their site says this: http://www.berkley-u.edu/university_accreditation.html

So, i don't know -- could anyone refer me to who i should ask about this? thanks!
by ~  

Rip-off 2008/5/2 16:44
Penelope,

It has to be a degree from an accredited university.

The page you posted a link to says the following:
The University of Berkley is not accredited by one of the traditional regional accrediting agencies recognized by the United States Department of Education.
Which should answer your question. Avoid it like the plague.

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/2 17:02
yeah, i saw that and it worried me, but then i thought, "well, the other agencies approve, so what if whoever decides on giving me a work permit approves?" :/
by ~ rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/2 21:06
"well, the other agencies approve, so what if whoever decides on giving me a work permit approves?"

Because its Immigration Inspectors who are Government employees who review those documents not the Employer when issuing the Work Visa. They are experienced in handling document examination.

The "other agencies" that approve this degree are probably in cahoots with the school that offers the online degree. If the degree isn't recognized by any agency recognized by the US Department of Education then its really nothing more then an expensive piece of toilet paper.

Another dead giveaway that this is a "diploma mill" is the name of this "school", University of Berkley, which many 'fake' universities try to do by making their names "similar" to real universities. In this case, trying to Imitate the University of California-Berkeley.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07225/809036-84.stm

http://www.plastic.com/comments.html;sid=05/07/11/05094899;cid=24

by John rate this post as useful

Well... 2008/5/2 22:24
You could even give yourself a diploma, but it won't be worth anything. Better yet, I'll give you one for a price. I hope you get my point. Anyone can give you a diploma, so that why there are accreditation agencies to keep schools accountable. Immigration agencies are not fools.
by Arnie rate this post as useful

thank you! 2008/5/3 19:23
John, thanks so much for those links -- they were very enlightening, and i'm glad i asked around here first!

Arnie, yeah, i see what you mean, too.

I will "avoid it like the plague," as Dave said earlier :D
by ~ rate this post as useful

careful 2008/5/4 15:58
Some paper universities use names similar to famous schools. Be careful!
And when considering an online course, put yourself in the interviewer's shoes: can you really trust the reputation of this school? It might not be worth your money.
by ian78 rate this post as useful

been there done that 2008/5/19 22:15
I tried to change a working holiday visa into a working visa using one of these degrees. My employer happliy accepted it and offered me a 3 year contract but immigration didn't like it at all. Interrogation rooms at the immigration office are not something I would recommend.
In saying that I have had 3 friends successfully use them and gain visas, I was unlucky and hence back in my home country.
by Daniel rate this post as useful

How do I know 2008/5/28 03:30
What is that mean accredited or recognized school? I graduated from a REAL university in my country but how do I know that it is recognized by immigration. Is there a list ? or as long as its real then its good enough ?
by curious rate this post as useful

Online University 2008/10/31 14:36
Graduate Degree
by Ram Shrestha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread