Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to spell japanese words for a tattoo 2008/5/4 05:14
How to spell "gob of war" in japanese for a tattoo
by jc0rt3z2383  

Gob of war? 2008/5/4 11:07
jc0rt3z2383,

Maybe you should expain what it means in English first...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Re: Gob of war 2008/5/4 16:23
Assuming you made a typo and are not really looking for an image of a mouth filled with soldiers and tanks, I think you're looking for Hachiman: ”ช”ฆ, the god of war.

I'm not really sure, but I think there is a link between Hachiman, Yasukuni and extreme right wing Japanese. Kanji tattoo are already 'weird' to Japanese people, but this one could get nasty.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/4 23:18
I thought he meant "sailor of battle".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Hold off on the kanji tattoos 2008/5/5 22:53
Yeah getting "Hachiman" tattooed on you is a really bad idea. It has bad associations.

And in general having something tattoed in another language, while cool in the West, just makes you look like a weirdo anywhere else, as you're basically just getting a word permanently indented in your body.

I've thought of getting a lotus tattoo with Tea Ceremony, but that's because it has meaning for me, and it's not just some random character like many do.

If you do get it done, don't just go to a random tattoo artist with a picture of the characters, find a tattoo artist who actually knows kanji, or you'll end up with a Britney Spears type mistake of a tattoo. they are not pictures, but words, so having someone just copy what you print out is a very very bad idea.
by Alita rate this post as useful

kanji tattoos 2008/5/6 18:12
in general are just a really bad idea. I suggest you have an image of a god of war rather than the kanji itself. That way, by onlookers, it can be interpreted in their own way instead of having associations with yasukuni shrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasukuni_Shrine#Controversy
read the controversy part.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Sorry, just couldn't help it 2008/5/6 23:31
Well, it's big enough of a joke to have a tattoo in Japanese meaning "sailor of battle" on a say U.S. Marine.
by Uco, living in Kanagawa rate this post as useful

It's 2008/5/13 03:20
ŒR_igunshin), I think.

by symler rate this post as useful

sailor of battle? 2008/5/13 06:17
Uco san, if you see this, where did you get "sailor of battle"? Did he post it somewhere else? It looks to me like he just mispelled "god of war".
by Sira rate this post as useful

ŒR_ 2008/5/13 09:22
yes like symler wrote ŒR_ / gunshin / god of war / war hero , is probably what you want. but i also agree with everyone in the sense that its a bad idea,maybe its the fact that im japanese and i think kanji tattoos are as cool as tribal. but you know what its your body and who cares what other people think.
by ‚ฎ‚้ rate this post as useful

another question on tattoos 2008/6/3 06:18
How would it be if I made a tatoo of my life quote in japanese? I want to do it, but I'm thinking, just like you said it my be odd for other people...yet the tattoo is with huge meaing to me...also I can't find anyonw who could translate the quote to me.
by Dispar rate this post as useful

Sira 2008/6/3 08:17
Hi Sira, I just saw your post as of May 13.

Being curious, I looked up my Readers E to J dictionary, and among the meanings there was one that mentioned ƒŒ๛„‘Dๆ‚่C…•vCi“ม‚ษji•ฤŠCŒR‚ฬj…•บisailor)[cf. gobby]

And a tattoo on a sailor seemed practical.

That's how I guessed the meaning. The expression did sound unfamiliar, but not all OPs are native English speakers anyway and not many people seem to care about how expressions appear. (I mean, look at all the unfamiliar Japanese expressions they hope to engrave on their bodies for good.)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Gob 2008/6/3 12:18
I refrained until then to mention that the #1 meaning of gob is gross.Very gross. Not only that but it wouldn't mean anything if associated with war. The #2 meaning is a slang word, an insulting one, for mouth in England. The #3 meaning is indeed sailor,in the USA, but again it is not likely to be a word used in polite company. Just as well that the OP didn't tattoo "gob" in English on his arm...
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

gob= not only mouth 2008/6/3 12:53
Thanks, Uco, that's interesting. I only knew the British English meaning of "gob", that is slang for "mouth", and had no idea there was any other meaning.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread