Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translate allergies into Japanese? 2008/5/6 07:48
My son is travelling in Japan and has gotten sick from his food allergies twice even though he has tried to explain to waiters what his allergies are. Would you please translate into Japanese the following words: food allergies, dairy, soy, gluten, wheat and pork? Also any suggestions you might have would be very helpful. Thank you for your help!
Cathy C.
by Cathy C  

... 2008/5/6 15:45
food allergies = shokuhin arerugi
dairy (products) = nyuu seihin
soy = daizu
gluten = guruten
wheat = komugi
pork = buta-niku

But please run some search on this forum for past threads on similar topics - there have been many useful suggestions made for travellers with allergies. And another thing to note: for something that is critical to your (or your family's) health, please do not rely only on anonymous people like myself on an online forum, but please do find some information source that you can truly trust. (This last suggestion I thankfully owe to a Japanese mom with a family member with allergies - she provides many useful answers to posts similar to yours.)
by AK rate this post as useful

talking to the right people helps 2008/5/6 17:03
I think I'm that Japanese mom with a family member with allergies AK is talking about :) Cathy, other foreign travellers have also suggested carrying a card mentioning about your allergies (as mentioned, have it proof-read by someone reliable such as a concierge). It's also better to have the waiter call the manager (ten-chou) when you want to talk about important issues as this. Notifying by phone in advance helps too. Or it would even be better if you let a reliable concierge make that call for you. You can make your reservation while you're at it. Bon appetite!
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2008/5/6 17:10
Note that "gluten allergy" is a bit unfamiliar to most Japanese people, while other allegies are not.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/6 18:46
Yes, Uco-san, you are THE one I was talking about :) As usual, your valuable input ia appreciated by all I'm sure!
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread