Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need a bit of translation help... 2008/5/6 23:40
I came across a bit of text that I can't make any sense of, and I could use some help figuring it out.

あまり芳しいとは垂ケませんが命にかかわる程では。

Contextually, the speaker is responding to another person's inquiry as to his Master's well-being.
by Rebby  

... 2008/5/7 08:00
あまり 芳しい とは 垂ケませんが 命に かかわる 程では。
Amari kanbashii to wa mousemasen ga, inochi ni kakawaru hodo dewa (arimasen).

In everyday speech:
Amari subarashii to wa iemasen ga, inochi ni kakawaru hodo dewa arimasen.
= I cannot say (he is) in prime condition, but his condition is nothing life-threatening.

inochi ni kakawaru = life-threatening; fatal
by AK rate this post as useful

That makes sense 2008/5/7 09:16
Thanks AK, your "modern-speak" translation made a whole lot more sense to me. I really had trouble wrapping my mind around the thought of someone's condition not "smelling" good...

This is just a shot in the dark on my part, but is there some sort of online resource detailing some differences between more old-fashioned phrases like these from their modern counterparts?
by Rebby rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/7 09:59
芳しい (kanbashii),
芳しい (kaguwashii), 香しい (kaguwashii), 馨しい (kaguwashii)
- all are words to describe "good smelling," "fragrant."

"kanbashii" is also used in the sense of "attractive," "great," "wonderful," but mostly in its negative form... it's true, I've seen the words only used in instances like:
- Kyonen wa kanbashikunai gyouseki deshita. (Last year the business performance was not really great.)
- Kimi no seiseki wa amari kanbashikunai ne. (Teacher saying to a student: Your school grades aren't really great...)

... There are some words where native Japanese speakers (including myself) refer to Japanese - Japanese dictionaries to check on usage.... lol

Yet another question... 2008/5/10 01:26
I'm not sure if this phrase might have a different meaning than what I'm familiar with, but I, unfortunately, don't have access to a japanese-japanese dictionary/site. Might the character 館 have a different meaning than mansion, boat, etc? Contextually speaking, here's the entire line of text I'm wondering about:

"私の館に呼ばれてくれるか?"
(Watashi no yakata ni yobarete kureruka?)

From what I can understand, is this guy saying... "Can you call me by my mansion?"

Speaking of which... 2008/5/10 01:30
Shoot, forgot my other question - what's a good site to go to for a decent Japanese-Japanese dictionary? Either online or purchase is fine, but I think I prefer having a hard-copy on hand. (I'd like to buy it from a state-side store, since I've had trouble with my bank regarding the use of my debit card in purchasing goods overseas. T_T Last time I tried, my card was frozen....)

... 2008/5/10 10:28
私の 館に 呼ばれて くれる か?"
(Watashi no yakata ni yobarete kureru ka?)

It's something like:
- Would you be invited to (come to) my mansion?
- Would you be kind enough to be invited to (visit me in) my mansion?

"... (te-form of verb) + kureru ?" means "Would you do me a favor of (doing something)?" But this phrasing "yobarete kureru ka?" is something that only a nobleman might say :) WHere do you get all those sentences?

... 2008/5/10 10:32
When it comes to Japanese - Japanese dictionaries, I (being Japanese) use simply those available in Japan... so I don't have particular recommendation.

Just for reference, 英辞郎 is quite useful for looking up words E to J or J to E. It's at the left top, just enter the word you are looking for and hit the 英和・和英 button next to it :)
http://www.alc.co.jp/

... 2008/5/10 11:07
Thank you so much, AK! Sometimes I'm a little stumped by the Japanese language... but I'm still studying as hard as I can! XD (It kinda stinks not having a sensei, though. No one to turn to when I have questions. =( )

I've gotten these lines from a "pseudo-period" manga I'm taking a stab at reading, so it's pretty challenging for me to see all this really formal speech being thrown about. xP But without challenge, there is no progress!

Thank you so much for the link! I've tried out a few test-phrases in it, and I love how it gives contextual phrasing in both English and Japanese.... phew.

reply to this thread