Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tattoos and onsens 2008/5/11 19:32
I have read that if you have tattoos you are not allowed in hot springs (onsens), I am a female with two small decorative tattoos (butterflies). Do you think this will be a problem?
by thesweeny  

... 2008/5/12 08:09
Do you think this will be a problem?

No, I don't think so. It is very unlikely but not impossible. Don't mention it at the entrance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Probably not... 2008/5/12 16:42
My husband has a small tattoo and had no issues going to onsen.
by Nika rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/12 19:48
thanks. There is such mixed information, but I think they are inconspicuous, and I just won't mention anything.
by thesweeny rate this post as useful

an idea.. 2008/6/5 17:17
i have tattoo's on both of my legs up to around the knee. do you reckon i can get away with wearing those medical type socks or a medical brace/support looking deal? because I know you're supposed to go in unclothed.. would this count? it's my last idea, otherwise only private onsen for me.
by al rate this post as useful

no socks, supports 2008/6/5 21:26
You will not please the other patrons at all if you get into the onsen wearing socks or a medical support, and it's quite possible someone would complain to the management, or tell you to remove it. I'm afraid you're probably going to have to go for a private onsen.
by Sira rate this post as useful

What about surgical tape? 2008/6/6 10:12
If you cover large tattoos with surgical tape, is it ok? For example, this is the stuff I'm thinking of:
http://www.rehabmart.com/product/19294.htm

by Curious rate this post as useful

band aid 2008/6/7 16:04
it doesn't sound like it dude, if you can't get away with like a support brace/bandage type thing i reckon they'd turn their noses up at elastoplast tape..

bugger.. ahh well, no reason to hold back on the chest tats now at least.
by al rate this post as useful

Onsesn tattoo 2008/6/8 19:11
I have two tattoo's, one on each arm, decent sized. I never mention them at the entrance and have never had any problems... In fact more than once I had people ask me about them (In a curious way).
by Toro rate this post as useful

What about this tattoo 2008/6/9 00:36
I wonder what would happened if I had this tattoo of this famous video game character

http://mtvgames.typepad.com/mtv_video_games_blog/images/yaku...
by Abhi B rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/10 01:37
Searching this site, I found other threads, where they mention they've used "plaster" to cover tattoos before going into an onsen, like this thread:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?6+3926

The post that mentions plaster was from "Tattooed JET". That was October 2007 and I don't know if they are still using this site to ask what they meant.
by Curious rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/10 08:56
I've been to dozens of onsen and I think that if people were to complain they are more likely to complain about bandages and tape then they are about your tattoos, especially since bandages and tape will draw more attention to you since it would be like you still wearing some of your clothing. However, I don't think anyone would say anything. I've been in onsen where there were guys with obvious yakuza tattoos and no one said anything, and I'd assume that some people must wear some sorts of medical devices at all times.

One of my Japanese-American friends has yakuza inspired tattoos (by a famous yakuza tattoo artist) all over his body and said that he has never been asked to leave an onsen. He said that as long as he is speaking English then no one minds his tattoos, however if he is speaking Japanese then he sometimes gets approached by people who are interested in them instead.

I guess the point is that you can just go, don't show or announce that you have tattoos when entering and (especially if you are an obvious foreigner) you shouldn't have any problems.

In the slim chance that they ask you to leave just do so politely and find another place to bathe (making a ruckus will only justify their thinking).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/13 02:51
I don't see you having problems with small tatoos. As everybody mentioned, just make sure they are covered during your entrance and after you are in the locker room, then there will be no one checking.

Don't put plasters or tapes... By hiding people don't know what you have and might mention to the staf. If you show your inofensive tatoos while bathing, no one will bother you.

Best regards.
by Someone rate this post as useful

Maybe no problem 2008/6/24 15:29
If Japanese have tatoos,he is seemed yakuza,but having tatoos foreigner are normal in Japanese image.
Maybe no problem.
by kuroneko rate this post as useful

It depends... 2008/7/21 16:32
I just got out of the swimming pool at a hotel in Tokyo. I have four good sized tattoos visible on my body (if I'm wearing a speedo!). I had to cover them with surgical tape to swim. I was told that if I came at another time, even that would not be permitted. Bottom line: some places make accomodations, others don't. Be prepared to be denied! And do your best to keep your tats covered so as not to offend the locals. PS: there was also a sign that said no earrings but nobody asked me to remove mine (and I don't think anybody noticed the nipple rings...). LOL.
by Buckley rate this post as useful

Looks like a no go for me! 2008/7/22 06:25
well seein as i have a whole arm sleeve, small tattoo on other arm, 3 big peices on my back and a medium sized one on my leg. 1 peirced nipple and a lip peircing. kinda guessing i wouldnt be allowed in any onsens or swimming pools.

am i right??

also would it bother people if i walk around in a tshirt as i cant exactly cover my arm up only if i wear a jumper but it will be hot in japan when i visit.

any advice?
by Matthew rate this post as useful

Try to have someone call ahead 2008/8/1 15:08
I have my whole left arm tattooed, a large piece on my right arm, one on my back and one on my ankle. I had heard that if you can call ahead to let the onsen know you are coming they might say that it's alright. I had the owner of my B & B do this for me for the onsen in Kurama and they said that it would be fine. I took a train all the way up there only to be denied entrance. When I persisted and told them about the earlier call. they finally agreed to let me into the outdoor baths, which was cooler anyway. All the other female patrons left as soon as I arrived. It was nice to have the place to myself BUT it was pretty offensive.

All I can say is be prepared to be turned down more often than not.

I have a question as to why this is so. One person said that is from badly behaved American GI's. I cannot imagine that that is true. Does anyone know?
by lewehrman rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/2 00:26
I'm Japanese and I have arm tattoos. I have long gotten used to stares in the summer time if I wear short sleeve shirts, or not being allowed to use the pool in a hotel. And yes, onsen or sento is difficult.

I think the reason is generally the typical association in modern Japan of tattoos being associated with yakuza. Yakuza are bad, they have tattoos, therefor, why would somebody want to look like that? I think that is the mindset of many (not all, of course)

Also, Japan is a shame culture and is based on conformity and being 'futsu', or average. Quite simply, tattoos make you different, and at the core, being different in Japan is well....not good.

Personally, I am not ashamed of who I am or my tattoos. I live in NY now, but if I am back in Japan and get some stares or am not allowed to use onsen, I don't complain. I knew before I got them that Japan was like that, so to complain would be useless.

There is one exception-- If I am in public (in Japan) with friends of my family, I will wear long sleeves, even on the hottest summer day. I am not ashamed of my tattoos, but I do not wish to shame them, if that makes sense.

Long story short, someone may experience being rejected from onsen with tattoos in Japan, but it is not the end of the world. Be proud of your tattoos
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Hakone Yunnesun Onsen 2009/12/14 17:12
I just got back from the Yunnesun Onsen (they have the wine, coffee, sake, etc onsen). If you go to the part where you have to wear a bathing suit, you can probably cover your tattoos with a rash guard. They even have rash guard rentals at the place, but be warned that they are basically Japanese size.
by Mark (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread