Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

shibuya or shinjuku 2008/5/12 12:48
I am plannin a trip to tokyo sometime in june and i am a big japanese food lover. Should i stay at shibuya or shinjuku? Which of these places have more japanese eats?
by tourist  

Either is fine 2008/5/12 15:40
They are only 7 minutes apart by train, so it isn't really that much of an issue. Both have a mind-bogglingly huge selection of all kinds of food, including Japanese.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Re: shibuya or shinjuku 2008/5/12 16:01
I would say it was about equal. but I don't consider either of them a centre of Japanese cuisine. Lots of restaurants in either though, but not necessarily traditional Japanese cooking. I think you find more of that in Ginza. One place I really found interesting food-wize is Shinbashi next to Ginza; it seems to be the place where lots of salarymen go after work and there are lots of small (chanko)nabe, yakitori, yakiniku, etc and izakaya style restaurants.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

depends 2008/5/13 08:17
I think it depends on what you call Japanese food. You can also get plenty of them at the Goldden-gai in Shinjuku or the department stores in any of the districts mentioned. In any case, Shibuya, Shinjuku and Shinbashi aren't that far apart.

I think you should decide depending on the hotel rather than the district. For example, many of the popular hotels in Shinjuku are located in the so-called "fuku-toshin" area which is very far from the dining district.
by Uco rate this post as useful

where food? 2008/5/13 11:45
Hi everyone,
TQ for your replies. Either district, i am planin to stay only 5 minutes away from the main stations. I am decidin between the two bcos since i will be tourin tokyo for a week with my toddlers, it would be easier for me to retire back to my hotel by late evening for a rest and still be able to venture out again nearby at nite for dinner and perhaps supper too. Hence place with more eats especially sushi, ramen and desserts would be more convenient for us. Anyway, fr my findings and just like what Sira had said, i guess both r almost the same. So, any good recommendations in shinjuku or shibuya with good bento or bakeries that i should not miss?
by tourist rate this post as useful

Glorious food 2008/5/13 13:18
There must be at least a thousands eating places in Shinjuku alone!they are at street level, underground (there is a maze of underground mall starting at the JR station) but also on the upper floors of many buildings. each department store has restaurants on the upper floors and a great food floor in the basement. Most department stores food floors have several bakeries/ pastries shops, some of them from France. Giving a name and address is practically impossible.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

toddler 2008/5/13 13:53
Which hotels "5 minutes away from the main stations" are you planning to stay at? I think it would be a hassle to fight the crowd with a toddler in either Shibuya or Shinjuku Stations, and there are very few hotels that are within 5 minutes from the Stations. But Shinjuku is more stressful than Shibuya, I think.

On the other hand, although Shibuya does have a lot of bars that are open til late at night, Shinjuku is known as the sleepless city.

Btw, have you thought about staying at the old town districts such as Asakusa?

shoppin and food 2008/5/13 15:01
i am planin to stay at the sunroute shinjuku or shibuya tokyu. daytime will be doin nearby excursion. i am aware that shinjuku is rather a big station. would it be really a big problem for me to take trains then wit my toddler and i am not jap-literate too. would there be a difference if i stay elsewhere. anyhow i will be gettin the suica card to save time. nevertheless i think i have no choice as these 2 places seems to have more shoppin and food. hope i'm right

Tokyo 2008/5/13 15:12
Both stations are large and confusing, with many platforms, different train companies and multiple exits on different sides and levels. If you are well organised you will be okay with toddlers though.

Both Shinjuku and Shibuya are food and shopping overload- you could spend a year in each shopping and eating every day and still not have been everywhere, most likely, and other parts of Tokyo have plenty of options without quite so much confusion, so I think Uco's suggestion is worth looking into.

Just one point- the abbreviation "Jap" is considered offensive, so please avoid using it if possible.

rush hour traffic 2008/5/13 16:27
May i know then to avoid the rush hour traffic, what time is best to avoid the crowds in the mornin and also evening at the train stations? Also, my sincere apology to all.

busy stations 2008/5/13 16:42
Shinjuku is the busiest station in the world, with 2 million people passing through every day. Obviously about 7am to 9.30am is the busiest time, with about 6- 8pm being almost as busy, but it is very crowded any time of the day and Shibuya is similar.

Either is fine. Depends on preference. 2008/5/13 20:49
Most, if not all, train stations in Tokyo have bilingual or even quadlingual (Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean) signs. Railway maps in foreign languages can often be obtained from station staffs at major stations, so language may not be much of a problem. The problem is that the railway system itself if complicated. Tokyo has more than 10 railway companies, and people are all over the place trying to switch trains. The trick is to take one step at a time, and ask people whenever you make a new turn, but to try to move with the flow of the crowd when you're walking.

As for shopping, both Shinjuku and Shibuya are the centers for modern youth fashion.

Location-wise, both Sunroute and Tokyu Inn are accessible from the stations while avoiding big crowds which are mainly at Shinjuku East and West exits as well as Shibuya Hachiko crossing.

The great part about Sunroute is that you can go to Times Square without going through the station. The downside is that there is no other tourist attraction accessible from the hotel unless you fight the station crowd.

The great part about Tokyu Inn is that you can go to Seibu and Tokyo department stores, malls such as Marui and Parco as well as fancy DIY shops Tokyu Hands and Loft, without going through Hachiko crossing (by taking a left at Miyashita Koen crossing).

From Tokyu Inn, you can also either walk or take a bus to Harajuku or even Ura-Harajuku where there are smaller boutiques for casual wear, as well as Oriental Bazaar and Kiddyland. The sidewalks of this street Meiji Dori always is roomy. On Saturday nights, there will be amateur musicians performing at this east side of Shibuya Station.

Most restaurants in Japan take their last orders at 9:30 pm. After that only bars are available, but there are plenty of food at bars as well.

As a district, Shinjuku is a bit more wild than Shibuya.

Shinjuku 2008/5/14 10:31
My vote goes to Shinjuku. The crowds at the train station are not as bad as it sounds, as long as you avoid the usual peak hours. Plus the station is big, with lots of space, I actually find it easier to navigate. Shibuya's station is smaller, which also means more people cramped into smaller floor area.

And also, Shinjuku has a lot of direct trains to almost anywhere in Tokyo. With Shibuya, you might have to do deal with train transfers more frequently as the station's train network is not as extensive as Shinjuku.
by Funshine rate this post as useful

2 birds 1 stone 2008/5/15 23:13
Dear Sira, Uco and Funshine,

TQ all for your time n effort.
Think i will just kill two birds with one stone. Will stay few days in shinjuku n some in shibuya. :)

reply to this thread