Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Not sushi 2008/5/16 06:47
I am a great lover of almost everything else japanese, but I am not overly fond of raw fish etc, seaweed is okay and some sushi like spicy tuna is great.

I am looking for recommendations for meals to introduce my pallette to the style so that eventually I may enjoy sushi.

I absolutely love my meats, curries, chilli dishes and stirfrys, so what would you recommend?

domo
by 8thsinner  

Not just sushi 2008/5/16 12:13
8thsinner,

This very site is a good a place as any to start...
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

ceviche 2008/5/16 12:40
a lot of people like ceviche. that might get you use to the texture and thought of eating raw seafood and its kind of zesty.
by sushi daisuki rate this post as useful

Not sushi 2008/5/16 18:46
I am looking for recommendations for meals to introduce my palette to the style so that eventually I may enjoy sushi.
Go to a kaiten sushi restaurant where it is easy to pick yourself and focus on the ones you like and experiment a little. If you would like to experiment with different Japanese dishes in general, a visit to an izakaya-style restaurant is a good idea.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

confusing 2008/5/17 03:06
I hope you mean your palate (in the mouth)rather than a painter's palette?
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Food for meatlovers. 2008/5/17 03:45
If you're meatlover like me, i can highly recommend yakitori. (all sorts of BBQ-meat on sticks with the special sauce on). Other than that, Sukiyaki is an all-time favourite. (But you have to find a decent izakaya to get it.)
Good luck.
by Th0mas24 rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/17 10:18
Yakitori and Sukiyaki are good, but not sushi, and won't introduce your palate to the tastes and textures.

I'd recommend some of the salmon sushi available at most kaiten sushi. They are very similar in taste to smoked salmon with a sushi texture. Should be a good intermediate dish.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Might try tomorrow 2008/5/17 10:25
BBQ meats sound great and I am sure the sauces are wonderfully rich and full of flavour, the problem is theres really only two places in belfast that are japanese, Ones a sushi train bar and the others something I have not tried yet cause it's a bit more expensive. Thanks for all the advice though. I very much appreciate it.

8th
by 8thsinner rate this post as useful

reply to this thread