Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ookami to shichi hi kinoko 2008/5/17 04:57
I got a tiny book as a free gift with some Glico candy I bought, the title is "ookami to shichi hi kinoko." What confuses me about this is my translation of the title. What I get is:

"wolf and seven mushroom (P) goat"

I'm also not sure if 'hi' is a particle and if it is, what is it used for.

Domo Arigatou :)
by B  

the title 2008/5/17 16:42
I think it must be "ookami to shichi-hiki no koyagi". "yagi" = goat(s) was missing in that you noted. Though you may know, numeral + "h(b/p)iki" is used when you count animals except big ones like elephants.

The English title is "The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids" - by the Grimm Brothers. I guess you probably know this tale.
by mm rate this post as useful

I always get mixed up trying to work out where a word starts and ends in japanese writing :/ Is there any trick for working it out?
by B rate this post as useful

Japanese 2008/5/19 13:03
You just have to become familiar with the language, and then it starts to become more obvious.
by Sira rate this post as useful

no peculiar trick 2008/5/19 22:21
I agree with Sira.

And I think it not so hard to work out where a word starts and ends in japanese writing unless it is written with all hiragana characters. Without kanji characters, it will be fairly troublesome even for a native.
by mm rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/20 00:03
I always get mixed up trying to work out where a word starts and ends in japanese writing :/ Is there any trick for working it out?

Install Japanese IME to your computer (even Western Windows should have it today), type Japanese and "convert" into kanji. As long as conversion result is correct, each kanji sequence is likely to be the beginning of a word.

In this case my computer gives the following result:
˜T‚ÆŽµ•C‚ÌŽqƒ„ƒM

And I think it not so hard to work out where a word starts and ends in japanese writing unless it is written with all hiragana characters. Without kanji characters, it will be fairly troublesome even for a native.

He is probably mentioning this picture book.
http://www.ezaki-glico.net/ehon/ehon6/book90.html
where everything is written in hiragana and no word break.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread