Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the name trang 2008/5/17 16:56
hello everyone,
it's me again. i was wounding if the vietnamese name ''TRANG'' can also be use as a japanese name? i know trang in vietnamese means page.
thank you for your time.
-Joe:)
by Joe  

No... 2008/5/18 01:06
It's not even phonetically possible in Japanese.
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

ŒŽ,’·,‘•,äµ... 2008/5/18 02:03
There are many kanjis for "TRANG" like ŒŽ,’·,‘•,äµ and etc.
First, you need to know the exact kanji of "TRANG".
by Hiro rate this post as useful

thanks hiro and therage800 2008/5/18 12:14
thanks hiro and TheRage800
how do i find the kanji for trang?
by joe rate this post as useful

Unhelpful advice 2008/5/18 12:26
Joe,

There is no kanji for "Trang". It is not a Japanese name or word.
In Japanese, it would be written as "Toran" or maybe "Torangu" in katakana - not in kanji.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

3 ways 2008/5/18 12:39
1.asking [your|his|her] pairents
2.asking a Vietnamese who is over 80 years old.
3.looking up a Vietnam-Chinese dictionary.

Kanji 2008/5/18 13:08
Dave

In Vietnam, the Chinese character was used until They were occupied by France.
Therefore, most vietnamese names have a Chinese character.

already answered 2008/5/18 20:49
Joe, Hiro has given you the answer already. There are several different kanji possible, depending on that particular Trang family. It could be any one of them, unless someone in the family, probably an older person, knows which one it is.

This is not really a Japanese question as Trang is not a Japanese name, so in Japan there is no associated kanji.
Non-Japanese names are usually written phonetically in katakana, as Dave in Saitama explained.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Trang 2008/5/18 21:34
OK, I see what Hiro was getting at now. Apologies for calling it "unhelpful".
If my Googling is not mistaken, the Vietnamese "Trang" can become "Chan" in Japanese, but the only way to find out the kanji is to follow the advice already given by Hiro above.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Kanji 2008/5/18 22:10
I don't even know where this discussion of Kanji came from, the original question was, is it also a Japanese name, and the answer is no. However, as stated it can be still written in Kanji just with no correlation to Japanese.
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

I agree with Hiro 2008/5/18 22:42
I agree with what Hiro is saying. For example, if I were asked "Can the Chinese name Lin be also used as a Japanese name?" I would answer, "Yes, but only if the kanji used for this person's name is —Ñ. Then it can be used as the Japanese name Hayashi. In fact, those who obtain Japanese nationality will often follow this percedure. But most of the time, the Chinese person would call him/herself Rin instead."

Anyway, it seems that the intention of the original question was rather vague.
by Uco rate this post as useful

thanks everyone 2008/5/19 13:12
thanks everyone,
to get off subject real quick do you pronounce the name taka like twick like what a bird says? i know taka means tall.
thank you for your time.
by Joe d rate this post as useful

What is twick? 2008/5/19 23:16
Twick? I don't really understand that part of your question, Joe.

Taka is pronounced pretty much as it looks, Ta-ka, with both "a" sounds being pronounced the same.

Taka can have various meanings in Japanese and does not necessarily mean tall, especially when used in a name.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread