Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Canadian debit card in international atm 2008/5/23 00:09
Hi All,

I will be traveling to Japan in July. Does anyone know for certain that a td canada trust bank card will work in the international atms? I know it operates on the plus network and should theoretically work... but my sister said her bank card did not work in international atms in the Caribbean. I know its two entirely different places :p

I don't really want to bring travelers checks as I have a very tight schedule and would prefer not to spend time at a bank. And I don't want to bring too much cash on me. I will be staying for an entire month, so I will need lots of money.

Btw my bank claims that it will work... but I don't really trust them all that much lol. Because they basically told my sister her card would work too...
by mandi  

Postoffice 2008/5/23 15:48
Hi, to answer your question, as far as I know, your best bet would probably be to take money out of an ATM out of a post office, I know they work with foreign cards. I've got a few times and my card has never work on a regular ATM, or "international" ATM's. Not even in Tokyo...
Most foreigner just go to the ATM's at the post office, any I think should be fine.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

This should definitely help you out. Hope it helps.
by Al rate this post as useful

ATM 2008/5/23 18:01
Try the 7-11. they are everywhere (over 12000 in Japan)and open late). I have a BMO bank card.do check: www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

thanks! 2008/5/23 23:47
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I will bring some cash on me just to be on the safe side. Looking forward to my stay in Japan.
by mandi rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/5/24 00:18
Yes, I can confirm without a doubt that the TD CanadaTrust bank card works in the 7-11 ATMs. I was in Japan for a month in March and had no problems getting money from the 7-11 ATMs.
by John rate this post as useful

Try the Citibank machines 2008/5/24 13:40
I was in Japan last August, and used my TD Canada Trust debit card to make Yen withdrawals at the Citibank machines there without a problem. There was a low cash limit on some of the other "international" ATMs I tried to use in Tokyo, though.

I also went into the TD here in Canada before leaving, and asked them to flag my account to note that I would be travelling in Japan that month.

Have fun in July!
by back soon... rate this post as useful

TD 2008/5/24 23:08
TD cards definitely works on Post Office bank machines. And they are all over the place. You can press the English button too. Not sure about 7/11 machines because I've never tried, but I think I will this year when I go in July. I've never had to flag my bank card. But definitely definitely call your credit card company before you go. Otherwise, you might not be able to use it again after using it once.
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

Sorry to bump an old thread 2008/7/12 11:18
I'm sorry to bump an old thread but those of you who have used a foreign ATM card in Japan before (preferably a card from an US institution), what was the exchange rate approximately? In other words, was it a complete ripoff compared to the current conversion rate or were you simply charged a high fee from the local ATM here (ie. 7-bank or Post Office).

Thanks for your help guys!
by Dan rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/12 13:08
7-11/Shinsei etc don't charge ATM fees (but your home bank institution might charge ATM for offnetwork use) for example, bank of America charges $5us offnetwork fee. The exchange rate using ATMs is good, however again, your home banking institution might ave a currency conversion % fee they charge. Since all of this is really dependent on your card and banking institution, you should consult your bank issuier to see what the varies fees for offnetwork, currency exchange fees are.

Oh yeah and don't forgeet to check your daily/weekly withdrawl limits. BoA has screwed a lot of people including myself on this before. Check the net.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks John 2008/7/12 15:03
Thanks for your advice John, I'll contact my bank first thing Monday morning.
by Dan rate this post as useful

yes 2008/7/31 00:34
i used that exact card in a post office atm to get 50000 yen. the rate was really good. and the card did not work in the few other places i tried, although i did not go to a 7-11. that's a good tip, cos 7-11s are everywhere, and the logo is similar to the north american one.
by lumi rate this post as useful

7-11 2008/7/31 00:50
Lumi, the 7-11 in the states were bought by the Japanese 7-11 company years ago.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread