Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

football or soccer 2008/5/24 02:22
is the sport called football or soccer in Japan?
by Chris James  

... 2008/5/24 16:03
When Japanese say "sakkaa," it refers to the sport "football" as in FIFA, International Federation of Football Association.

When Japanese say "futtobooru," that is likely to be referring to American football or rugby football, or other types of football.

So... if you are talking about the sports under FIFA, then when talking in Japanese with Japanese, the word to use is "sakkaa," of course taken from the English word soccer.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Football 2008/5/25 05:31
I will climb on a thin branch but I believe that outside North America, that is in the rest of our big wide world world, soccer is always called football. It is played with a minimum of equipment: shorts and shirts, socks and shoes. no protective equipment. Football American style should be properly called USA rugby, as they handle the ball as much with their hands as with their feet and use lots of protective equipment, unlike rugby players in the rest of the world who don't. The French rugby players do wear some unusual uniforms if one go by their calendar "les dieux du stade 2008"
by Auntie bert rate this post as useful

Not only North America... 2008/5/25 08:13
I'm going to disagree, Auntie Bert, as it's called soccer in New Zealand too, and also in Australia I believe. In New Zealand football refers to rugby, and in Australia often to Aussie rules football. Soccer is always called soccer. I'm not sure about South Africa, but since rugby is popular there you might find soccer is soccer there too. And then in Ireland they have Gaelic football, so they may also differentiate, but I'm not sure on that one.

We can probably say that in any English-speaking country football is whichever is the most popular sport involving kicking a ball.
by Sira rate this post as useful

sakkaa(soccer) 2008/5/25 13:41
As an average stupid Japanese I usually call it sakkaa (soccer).
Most TV programs or any newspapers call it sakkaa, though a few TV programs that are a bit pretentious call it "football".
When I use the word "futtobooru (football)" it doesnft mean soccer or rugby, but means American football. And we call rugby ragubii.
by nyantaro rate this post as useful

so they call it 2008/5/26 00:19
soccer in Japan then?
by Chris James rate this post as useful

yup 2008/5/26 12:20
soccer in Japan.
by Dan rate this post as useful

thankyou 2008/5/27 02:54
dan
by Chris rate this post as useful

reply to this thread