Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese primary school textbook 2008/5/25 22:25
Hi all,

I'm currently learning japanese and am curious about how the japanese kids learn their japanese in japan.

Is there any website that sell the japanese textbook used by the local school in japanese? I'm interested in taking a look and hope that it can help me in my learning.

Thanks.

by JK  

... 2008/5/26 10:03
In a similar way that children's textbooks for small kids in US or UK don't really help the Japanese people learn the English grammar/vocabulary that grown-up learners would want to, kids' textbooks are not really the best resource for learners of Japanese as a foreign language.

There are some textbooks that are suited for non-Japanese learners; also, if you have gotten through the initial basic grammar and hiragana, and want to try out reading some materials, publications/information like "Hiragana Times" (I believe there is online version) would help.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/27 01:40
Some textbook resellers are selling authorized school textbooks online, but do not seem to ship internationally.

kids' textbooks are not really the best resource for learners of Japanese as a foreign language.
There are some textbooks that are suited for non-Japanese learners

I agree. Look for something else unless you are interested in Japanese school education.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

just a thought 2008/5/27 10:10
I learned English when I was living in the U.S. as a second grader. My spelling workbooks and reading text books did help improve my language ability. But as for the latter, it helped only because it was easy reading material, and I my language teachers made me read them out loud over and over again. Just by reading over and over again, I naturally gained gramatic skills, in the same way a native toddler might learn gramatic skills by speaking over and over again.

In the same sense, Japanese text books might help you learn kanji. They will hardly teach you any grammar, but you can try to find simple children's books to improve your reading skills. You don't need a text book for this. Japanese children's books can sometimes be found in the storage of your local library.
by Uco rate this post as useful

TKS 2008/5/27 22:12
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

I'm actually looking for some reading materials like storybooks, short passages, etc. That's why i ask about the textbook.

I think hiragana time online is something that i'm looking for.
Thanks AK.

by JK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread