Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I'd like to have breakfast with you.... 2008/5/28 02:23
How would one say ''I'd like to have breakfast with you?'' in Japanese? Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance =)
by Hello Nasty  

here.. 2008/5/28 10:12
say it this way if u want to sound most natural:

"kimi to asameshi tabetai"

or if feel you more comfortable with a more standard text book-like translation. which people take too much faith in nowadays, u can always use:

watashi wa anata to asagohan wo tabetai desu. [which i dont recommend]

by AzN Gyangu rate this post as useful

A suggestion 2008/5/28 19:05
Note that "asa-meshi" for breakfast would be male speech, not female speech. Neutral way to put it would be "asa-gohan" or "choushoku."
by AK rate this post as useful

not natural for everyone 2008/5/28 22:55
"Kimi to asameshi tabetai" is very casual male speech. It might be natural, but I'm sure if I (female) said it to any of my Japanese friends they would be quite shocked/ amused.

You have to be very careful with levels of language and male/ female language, particularly when getting/ giving advice on an anonymous forum!
by SH rate this post as useful

Didn't know but thanks! 2008/5/29 01:12
I didn't know there were differences between male/female expressions. Good lookin' out though. How does one say "Would you like to have a drink with me?" Drink as in a beer/cocktail etc. and I'm a guy btw. Thanks!
by Hello Nasty rate this post as useful

kimatta na... 2008/5/30 15:13
i assumed he was a dude. thats why i displayed that sort of example.. =)

but as for your other question, you could say:

ore to nomi ni itteiino?

and sorry if my way of speaking dosent meet some people's standard. but thats the way i talk in Japanese. cant help it. plus i think he should sound more COOL than FORMAL. btw, your welcome!

. 2008/5/30 18:49
To my previous poster, you're nice trying to help out the OP, but "ore to nomi ni itteiino?" does not sound good... it sounds as if you're not confident (like "is it really OK to go for drink with me?"

A very common phrase is
"issho ni nomi ni ikanai?"
by . rate this post as useful

Japanese 2008/5/30 19:30
I actually think "kimi to asameshi wo tabetai" is too literal a translation- you could translate it back as "I want to have breakfast with you"- don't you think that's a bit too direct and full on? I'd be quite taken aback if someone said that to me in either language.

I also agree with the above- AzN's sentence "ore to nomi ni itte ii no" not only sounds like "Is it really okay for me to have a drink with you?", it also mixes the tough-sounding "ore" with the somewhat feminine-sounding "ii no"?

Maybe we netter let one of the Japanese people answer this one.
by hello rate this post as useful

..?? 2008/5/30 19:55
nahh.. if i wanted to sound "so inconfident"

i would of said:

moshikashitara ore to issho ni nomi ni iccha dame nano??

thats having no confidence.

and a common phrase? from where? a text book? sorry but young people hardly talk like that... it sounds ahh hmm kinda formal to us. but whatever floats your boat?

Thanks to everyone 2008/5/30 22:05
All your suggestions have been great. I'll be travelling alone some days so I thought it would be beneficial to learn some basic terms to get by...
I was also wondering when pronouncing Romanji ie. "desu ka" Do I literally say "des u ka" or is it more of a "des ka" with the "u" being silent? Also, does this rule apply to the "masu" in onegaishimasu? Thanks again for your help guys.

Just to add... 2008/5/30 23:11
To hello nasty,

The "-u" as in "desu ka" and "onegaishimasu" is not really "silent," but is less pronounced compared with other vowels.
For "would you like to go out for a drink with me?" I agree with "Issho ni nomi ni ikanai?" as an invitation. The one given by AzN Gyangu is too masculine and comes across as arrogant.

To AzN Gyangu,
You do have particular way of speaking if I may say - so I would appreciate it if you could make a note when you post that you are a male and that this is male speech on the quite masculine side :)

Back to Hello Nasty,
I think that in the first place "I would like to have breakfast with you" could sound like "I want to spend the night with you (and have coffee together with you in the morning), so that's nothing I would ever want to say unpreparedly (if I were a guy) and nothing I would want to hear (me being a woman). Please be careful how things can sound to people with different background :)
by AK (Japanese woman) rate this post as useful

LOL 2008/5/30 23:52
AzN Gyangu: I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind. I'll likely try your way of asking with my close friends only LOL. But who knows, it might even land me some pts /w new female acquaintances?

AK: You made a very good point about the breakfast thing (when saying to a girl). I didn't realize it would come across as something 'sexual' as it was not my intention. But thanks for your advice =)

So I would think that 'ni' is pronounced 'knee' correct? Also, how is 'ii' pronounced? Sorry if I'm getting longwinded.

reply to this thread