Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

last name Takushi in kanji 2008/5/31 13:35
i am half okinawan and want to get a tattoo of my last name in kanji
by ct  

. 2008/5/31 22:09
There are many kanji that share the same reading each other, so generally speaking no one can guess your name's kanji only by its reading.

BTW is your name really Takushi? Takashi and Takeshi are more common.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

family name, right? 2008/6/1 01:12
Meringue is right. You never know your real kanji unless you reconfirm to your ancesters or your official record. A lot of Japanese people have their names' kanji mistaken once in a while and most of us feel terrible about it.

But why not ask your relatives? They may know the kanji or the way to check their "koseki" official record in Japan. I did find an Okinawan address that is read Takushi: 沢岻 It is located in the city of Urasoe. This may get you somewhere.

Also may I note that while many non-Japanese people wish to have tattoos in kanji, to the natives it seems very odd.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Lots of possibilities 2008/6/1 05:29
Take your pick. These are all out of Kanjidict. (the (g) denotes given name)

卓之
( たくし) (takushi) (g)
卓史
( たくし) (takushi) (g)
卓司
( たくし) (takushi) (g)
卓士
( たくし) (takushi) (g)
卓志
( たくし) (takushi) (g)
多久志
( たくし) (takushi) (g)
by Paul rate this post as useful

as far as I know 2008/6/2 22:02
I think most of the names on Paul's list are first names and not last.

Now, that was stupid. 2008/6/4 06:35
Uco, you are quite right. A given name is the first name.

As Roseanne Rosanna Danna would say, "Never mind."
by Paul rate this post as useful

Oh, silly me 2008/6/4 11:06
I'm sorry Paul, you did note that they were given names. But the OP was looking for surnames.

沢岻 or 澤岻 2008/6/4 14:36
http://homepage1.nifty.com/forty-sixer/ta1.htm
In the list of Japanese family names, the one UCO san mentioned 沢岻 (or 澤岻, 澤 is old kanji for 沢)is found and the list says it is Okinawan family name.
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread