Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can anyone translate this quote? 2008/6/3 21:21
Ok I've tred to translate t through internet engine, but of course I've got high doubts about if its correct, so here's the quote in english:
Beyond time - someone who is wise in mind, young by body, child in heart...always lonely and foolish like human
and here's the translation the engine gave me:
ƒ^ƒCƒ€‚ð‰z‚¦‚ă{ƒfƒBAlŠÔ‚̂悤‚ɌǓƂÅA‹ð‚©‚È’†S‚ÌŽq‹Ÿ‚É‚æ‚Á‚Äcí‚ÉŽá‚¢S‚ÅŒ«‚¢’N‚©
if you can make it out...
Thank you!
by Dispar  

... 2008/6/4 09:53
The one that the engine gave you is really interesting; the English below the engine translated Japanese is my "reverse" translation of it back into English:
ƒ^ƒCƒ€‚ð‰z‚¦‚ă{ƒfƒBAlŠÔ‚̂悤‚ɌǓƂÅA‹ð‚©‚È’†S‚ÌŽq‹Ÿ‚É‚æ‚Á‚Äcí‚ÉŽá‚¢S‚ÅŒ«‚¢’N‚©
= Beyond "Time" and "Body," lonely like humans, and by center of stupid child... someone always young at heart and wise.

I don't know the background or intended use for the phrease - it needs a bit of re-phrasing... here's my attempt for:
Beyond time - someone who is wise in mind, young by body, child in heart...always lonely and foolish like human
= Žž‚ð’´‚¦‚ÄEEEŒ«‚¢“ª”]AŽá‚¢“÷‘ÌAŽq‹Ÿ‚̂悤‚ȃ^‚ÈS‚ðŽ‚¿¥¥¥‚»‚µ‚Äí‚ÉlŠÔ‚ª”ð‚¯‚Ä’Ê‚ê‚È‚¢Žâ‚µ‚³‚Æ‹ð‚©‚³‚ð•ø‚¦‚ÄB (Beyong time - someone with wise mind, young body, and pure heart like a child's... and harboring loneliness and foolishness no human being can go without.)
by AK rate this post as useful

AK thnx! 2008/6/4 22:19
I thouth so, that the engine most likely didn't do it quite right!
Thank you for your help a lot, so far yours is the best translation I've got :)
Thanx for the effort!
by Dispar rate this post as useful

? 2008/6/5 03:21
IfI wanted to remove te last part of the quote, how would it look then? (otherwise it's too long)

... 2008/6/5 06:08
Dispar,

You mean if you took the "always lonely and foolish like human" off completely? That would be a major loss.... if you want that part shortened, then you could replace:
¥¥E‚»‚µ‚Äí‚ÉlŠÔ‚ª”ð‚¯‚Ä’Ê‚ê‚È‚¢Žâ‚µ‚³‚Æ‹ð‚©‚³‚ð•ø‚¦‚ÄB
with:
EEE‚»‚µ‚Äí‚ÉAŽâ‚µ‚³‚Æ‹ð‚©‚³‚ð•ø‚¦‚ÄB(always harboring/accompanied by loneliness and foolishness)

Still the part about those being human nature would be lost.... what do you want it for, and how short does the whole thing need to be? Some things just need their proper phrasing to make sense, which could get a bit long :)

... 2008/6/6 01:56
Yeah, well...that's my own quote, so I'm gonna tattoo it no matter how strange it sounds, I won't get into long explanations...anway, an perfect thing would be if the translation was just as it is in english, but I suppose it's not that easy, so I thought and maybe you could just remove the word harborring, it disturbs me somehow...and sorry that I'm so picky, it's just important, so I want tit to be doneas good as possible :)
Thank you so much for spending your time and helping me!

... 2008/6/6 07:59
OK, the "harboring" is not literally in there, so don't worry about that. "always accompanied by..." might be a better way to put it in ENglish.

This is for a tattoo... then the "someone" is referring to yourself? Then the whole thing needs to be rephrased - I had no idea, I thought it was an ad copy for a movie or something like that lol - because "Someone who..." kind of phrase referring to oneself doesn't really work in Japanese :(

If it's for a tattoo, something permanent on you, and if you want it "right," may I suggest that you take it a translation company (maybe someplace that does literature translation as well) and have it properly translated against a fee? It's going to be a long one anyone, so you might as well have some touch of poetry or something like that... and also you can discuss every little nuance with them :)

... 2008/6/6 08:01
Whoops, correction!

"...it's going to be a long one anyway..."

... 2008/6/6 19:21
I didn't actually think about that, but thatnk you for the idea! Tho I don't have companies like that in my country (I haven't checked, but I highly doubt) so I guess I'll have to use internet! Maybe you could suggest something? Well, thank you very much for everything and have a nice day! :)

reply to this thread