Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What are requirements teach english 2008/6/4 11:58
What all does it take to teach english in japan? A university degree or just be native USA english speaker? Can somebody really find the true answer to these simple questions?
by Bryan  

... 2008/6/4 12:08
What all does it take to teach english in japan? A university degree or just be native USA english speaker? Can somebody really find the true answer to these simple questions?

It can actually be quite a complicated situation. Strictly speaking the only requirement to get a job teaching English is to find someone to hire you.

The reality however is that if you want to legally work in Japan as an English teacher then you will need to qualify for a visa type that allows working. The most obvious of which would be a work visa, however a spouse or dependent visa can also allow you to work. These all have different requirements, one of which for the work visa is that you have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.

So the answer to your question (from an immigration standpoint) can go both ways. Yes, you do need a degree if you are a typical American looking to work in Japan. No, you don't need a degree if you qualify for other types of visa that allow work, i.e. you have a Japanese spouse or parent.

Actually there are two requirements to teaching English in Japan. The first is that you have a valid visa that allows working as explained above, and the second is that you can find someone to hire you. The requirements for actual jobs is completely different than the visa requirements. It runs the entire range where some companies require you to have a degree (so they can sponsor your visa) some require you to be a native speaker (regardless of degrees and certifications), some just require you to be capable in English, and you may even encounter some places that have ridiculous requirements such as only hiring Caucasians.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

true answers 2008/6/4 20:03
yllwsmrf has given you the true answer- if you do not qualify for any other visa, then as a US citizen you need either a bachelor's degree or 3 years relevant work experience. These are immigration requirements- it is not enough just to be a US citizen, you need to be a US citizen with education/ work experience/ a Japanese parent/ a Japanese spouse.

As above, what requirements employers then impose to hire you is another question altogether.
by koala1 rate this post as useful

As i know 2008/6/12 12:46
as i know you can visit the Japanese embassy website they have all the information bout that program.
you can check all the things you need and how the program runs if u do it thru da embassy they r gonna do all da paper work u need 2 b legal n also the things u need 2 live there
da program name is JET
here is da link if u want 2 check it out! [if u r inside USA hehe]
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETProgram/homepage.html
thatz all i know i hope that was helpful 4 u!
have a nice day

Shirubia
by luciFerzcrush rate this post as useful

Best answer 2008/6/12 22:22
This is the best answer to your question.

The reality however is that if you want to legally work in Japan as an English teacher then you will need to qualify for a visa type that allows working. The most obvious of which would be a work visa, however a spouse or dependent visa can also allow you to work. These all have different requirements, one of which for the work visa is that you have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
by Hiro rate this post as useful

Easy! 2008/6/14 08:31
If you want to be an English teacher in Japan, I would recommend getting your bachelors degree in linguistics and get a TESL (Teach English as a Second Language) certificate. Once you do this, it should be quite easy to achieve this wonderful task of teaching English. I know this because it is my goal as well. Also, you should remember that if you want to get a degree in TESL that you will have to possibly study abroad in Japan so make sure you put back your money and save as much as you can! I hope it all works out for you.
by jyekobu rate this post as useful

good luck 2008/6/14 17:13
Recently a major english conversation company went under, and while it's been bought by another company it hasn't recovered yet, and the market for jobs now is really tight. I would suggest waiting, or it may be really difficult to get a job.
by nekobaka rate this post as useful

i disagree 2008/6/17 17:34
i disagree that it's really tight. anyone who wants a job and looks for one properly can get one. they may not come to you as easily as they used to but there are many jobs available.

however you will likely be screened out by most prospective employers very early in their selection process if your english ability is anything like your first post represents. the big eikaiwa here aren't exactly shining stars, they do tend to hire people who can speak english properly.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Thank You 2008/6/17 23:04
Thank you for your response people. It will take some doing to accomplish proper bachelor degree to teach english in your country.
Plz do not respond to this message or prior message about being an english teacher in your adventurous country.
by Bryan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread