Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confidence when speaking Japanese 2008/6/9 01:52
Hi everyone. I have been studying Japanese on and off for six years. I can understand almost anything and I'm pretty good with kanji (i know about 800 or so) BUT I am HORRIBLE at speaking!! I can say what I want to say in my head but it won't come out of my mouth! Right now, I have been in japanese for 4 months and I have 2 more to go before I return to Canada. Whenever I need to speak japanese i freeze up, or I am only to say simple, basic phrases. Even with my japanese friends. Then later when i'm alone I can think of 100 other ways I could have said something in Nihongo. It's frustrating because I know I can speak well (i can do it no problem when im by myself practicing) but when it comes to an actual situation then i get stuck. Any tips on overcoming my fears would be greatly appreciated!! Onegai shimasu! ^_^
by Kayla  

just speak 2008/6/9 16:39
I think the best way is just to speak, even if the sentences is not 100% correct. Just like learning how to drive, u cant drive by only learning the theory. Watching japanese drama can be another good idea to practise speaking fluently.

I used to take up japanese lessons in my school. The 1st time I study japanese, i know how to write my sentences but its a problem trying to speak. My mind just become blank. But after i met my Jbf, we spoke on the phone every night (using broken english and japanese) I realised my japanese improved tremendously. Somehow it just improves naturally.

So, just keep trying and dont be afraid. Good luck!
by amanda rate this post as useful

Fears 2008/6/9 22:28
First of all, you have to learn to think in Japanese, even if it isn't perfect. The moment you have to translate a sentence from your native language to Japanese or any foreign language it leaves you in the tongue-tied situation you are in now. Listen to radio and TV and you'll recognize a lot of stock phrases being used a lot. Try to memorize them and use them to gain some time to pick the right verb and tense, etc.

Furthermore, you have to try to ignore a fear of making mistakes; being corrected is not a black eye but a learning process. Having said that, being interrupted to correct you while you're still formulating really kills any attempt to produce a proper sentence. ^_^;;
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Complete and under immersion!!! 2008/6/9 23:29
I would say go with the gsink or swimh method.

Immerse yourself in total Japanese for as long as it takes, force, yourself to speak nothing but Japanese.

You will make mistakes, but that is the point. What you are trying to do is build your natural ability to speak Japanese. Our in other words condition yourself. Just like training an animal, you use negative reinforcement to stop negative actions, and positive reinforcement to promote positive actions.
by Jake rate this post as useful

reply to this thread