Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

She is allergic to sashimi 2008/6/12 09:33
I need help in translating a phrase too!

''She is allergic to sashimi''

thanks. :)
by cloud9  

Re: 2008/6/12 09:34
彼女は刺身アレルギーです
by japanese visitor rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/12 09:36
彼女は刺身アレルギーです

in case you don't read Japanese it says:

Kanojo wa sashimi arerugii desu.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

just wondering 2008/6/12 10:13
I don't have a problem with the translation given, but if I were the person being said that, I would wonder why she is only allergic to sashimi.

I would wonder if she could be allergic to seafood in general or anything uncooked including vegetables or what not. How about salads, how about medium-rare beef steak, I'd wonder. And if I were the person being said that, I would need to make sure about those things since she's allergic - a health problem - and not just a picky eater.

Sashimi consists of an enormous variation of materials. Sashimi simply means food that is raw.
by Uco rate this post as useful

- 2008/6/14 18:04
thank you for the responses!

hmm, my sister is actually allergic to raw seafood. she'll get serious rashes if she eats them.

will sashimi be a good enough representation or should i use other words?
by cloud9 rate this post as useful

ask someone you get to know 2008/6/14 20:03
Cloud9,

Then you should say specifically that she's allergic to "raw seafood". You could have said she's allegic to sashimi, and they'll serve you sushi with raw seafood toppings.

But as I always tell people, don't trust anonymous internet posters like me. We can't be responsible for serious medical situations and we are most likely to make mistakes.

Once you're in Japan, ask a trustworthy person with a name tag, such as the conceirge or host(ess) at your accomodation or at least a tourist information center staff. And then double-check another person to see if the translation is correct. Meanwhile, my suggestion is "arerugii desu. nama no kai-san-butsu o taberaremasen."

Don't order 2008/6/14 22:17
Surely the easiest thing to do is just to not order sashimi or Sushi??

Then you don't have the problem of explaining.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

important 2008/6/14 22:27
I guess these phrases are important when you're hosted by others or are leaving the menu to the chef for some reason.

reply to this thread