Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Awaiting Visa Time Running Out 2008/6/13 13:12
I'm currently on a UK tourist Visa and have just found work after a couple of months. So just submitted my Visa application BUT have less than a month until my tourist Visa runs out. What are my options whilst waiting for a Visa that may or may not arrive in time?
1. Should I leave JP now and visit eg. Hong Kong in order to get another 3 month tourist Visa?
2. Stay in JP & ask immigration to extend my tourist Visa by another 3 months? Is this likely to be granted?
3. Return to the UK now. Reenter JP under a new tourist Visa. Collect my Visa, then leave JP again to get the Visa issued.
4. None of the above. So what should I do?

Confusing eh? I am.
by Paul  

Visa extension 2008/6/13 13:54
Paul,

If you are a UK national, you can extend your tourist visa for another 3 months (i.e. 6 months total) at your local Immigration office without too much hassle. They will probably ask you about your sightseeing plans and funds for the next three months, but the procedure is mostly just a formality.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Awaiting Visa TIme Running Out 2008/6/13 15:04
Dave

Thx. Would it be ok to apply for an extension to my tourist Visa at the same place office that are handling my working Visa application? Will it not be an issue since they know I am planning to work. So I cannot say sightseeing?
by Paul rate this post as useful

visa 2008/6/13 21:23
I coulb be wrong...,but I was under the impression that you are allowed to remain in Japan until your application has been processed (and either accepted or denied).
by dunit rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/14 08:19
Technically speaking, you cannot submit a "visa application" from within Japan.

Do you refer to a "Change of Status of Residence"? If yes, then you should be allowed to stay in Japan until your application is either approved or denied. After all, your passport should be among the documents submitted. No?

Or could it be that you are currently in the process of getting a "Certificate of Eligibility"? In that case you have to leave Japan by the time your period of stay expires. As a UK citizen you can extend that period, as mentioned by Dave.

The above is my understanding, and it might not be completely accurate. You should be asking the immigration bureau or an immigration lawyer for "official" advice.
by Uji rate this post as useful

more info, please 2008/6/14 15:35
i assume you have applied for a "certificate of eligibility". when this arrives it is possible to then take it to immigration and ask for a "change of visa status" whereby you will have to wait another week to get your actual visa.

but the usual procedure is to take the "certificate of eligibily" to a japanese consulate or embassy in a foreign country.

what country did you write of the form?

the easiest thing to do is to return to that country before your visa expires and have your employer forward you the certificate.

shinagawa is currently taking about a month to process these certificates so it is going to be close
by joseph rate this post as useful

Awaiting Visa Time Running Out 2008/6/18 11:03
Dear All,

Thx for your advice. BTW I also contacted JP Embassy in London and their advice was the same as Dave's. I wanted to be absolutley sure as things play out differently in practice here in JP. So for others who may be in a similar bind. I was applying for a Working Visa (Cert of Eligibility), BUT my tourist Visa was running out. I followed advice and asked to extend my tourist Visa. My British nationality may have helped. Anyway, Dave was right the tourist Visa extension seemed to be a formality but I made sure I gave the names of my main Japanese contacts. Right now I am still awaiting my Cert of Eligibility, but I won't have to leave too soon. Hope this helps.
by redDog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread