Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food at Japanese Culture Festivals? 2008/6/14 05:11
Hello there I'm Bree!
I'm totally into Japanese cultures and I absolutly love their festivals and stuff.
So tell me what kinds of favorites are there to choose from at these festivals?
I know about Sukiyaki but..what is it? Is it particulary good?
by Bree  

. 2008/6/14 16:59
What kind of festivals? I mean, where, when, what, why and how are they done? I've never heard of people having sukiyaki at festivals. But there are indeed great stuff which you can eat depending on which festival you go to.
by Uco rate this post as useful

can you be more specific? 2008/6/15 04:53
Yes, I also don't exactly understand what 'cultural festival' means.

When I first read your question, I thought you meant what is called 'matsuri', or traditional, mostly Shinto festivals where the local community gets together to carry heavy mikoshi through the streets to the local shrine.

This is what 'festival' usually means to the Japanese. Foods at these events are usually non fancy 'street foods' and are sold at stalls for inexpensive prices. It is also one of the few situations in Japan where it is not considered rude to walk while eating.

Foods at matsuri include favorites like:

yakisoba (stir fried noodles, usually with cabbage, carrot, onion, and maybe pork)

okonomiyaki: heavy pancakes with egg and lots of toppings

dango- grilled rice cakes with a sweet sauce, usually of miso

yakitori- grilled chicken/veggies/tripe on skewers

they sometimes also sell fresh 'senbei', or rice crackers at these festivals

Sukiyaki is eaten at home or at restaurants. It is thinly sliced beef simmered in a sweet sauce with vegetables, and is dipped in raw egg and eaten with rice. It would be too difficult and expensive (and too hot and humid) to enjoy sukiyaki at 'matsuri' ;-)

by Kazuyuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread