Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advertising career in Tokyo 2008/6/23 17:06
I'm a sophomore at a university in New York City as an International Marketing and Communications major and plan on minoring in East Asian Culture/Languages.

I have what you could call an obsession with Japan--Tokyo, to be more specific--with plans on living there in the future. The cultural aspect with an emphasis in preservation of history and tradition along with the adoption of a fast-paced city life among other things really piqued my interest.

The thing is, I chose International Marketing specifically to have the ability to move back and forth between Tokyo and New York (mainly because I love New York, as well). I was wondering if there are companies in Tokyo that would allow that.

If it's of any relevance, I'm 1/8th Japanese and 7/8th Filipino. I have been studying the language since my Freshman year of high school. I will admit that I still can't converse in the language because I could never really apply it when I learned it, but I have continued to take classes and do plan on attending an immersion school along with studying abroad in Tokyo for a year at a university which will allow me to take business classes.

To get to the point, I was wondering if I would have good chances of being able to get a job in the advertising industry/PR in Tokyo.

I will admit that I've only been to the airport and my only experience with Japan really is through the entertainment industry, informational books, friends who were exchange students, and family friends, but I wasn't informed much about working there as something besides an English teacher. :/
by Lily  

maybe.. 2008/6/23 18:56
Isn't Dentsu Young&Rubicam in NYC? Maybe you can apply their to become creative director for Japanese advertisment.
by yossi&tamachan rate this post as useful

Dentsu 2008/6/23 19:02
I've actually thought about Dentsu...

By chance, would you know how internships work in Tokyo? I was thinking of doing an internship for Dentsu while I do study abroad...
by Lily rate this post as useful

Internship 2008/6/27 14:05
Is it possible to do internships in Tokyo while you are studying abroad? I have to choose between studying abroad or internships for Junior year, but I was wondering if I could do both. But doesn't the student visa prohibit working?
by Marie rate this post as useful

Salary 2008/6/27 18:23
What's the base salary in Advertising & PR in Tokyo? Is it about the same as what you would expect from a NYC-based company?
by kanon65 rate this post as useful

job opportunity 2008/6/27 22:14
I don't know about Dentsu and it's internship program maybe you need to contact Dentsu directly. I know few people in this field and they always nag they work long hours and no overtime pay. Unless you are account executive or chief creative director,your salary wouldn't be reasonable.

McCann-Erickson Japan http://www.mccann.co.jp/eng/
Conditions at international firms are better maybe?
by yossi&tamachan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread