Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What requirements are need from me? 2008/6/29 22:08
My japanese wife and I have been married for 18 months and we currently live in the US. We are planning to move to Japan in the next year or two and I was wondering what reqirements the Japanese government would need from me to obtain a permant visa card similiar to what my wife currently has in the US. I have visited several websitres but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. Most websites dicuss the marriage procedures and thats all....we already did all that paperwork. Anybody??
Thanks!
by nohgoa322  

... 2008/6/30 08:05
You can't get permanent residence from the beginning. The easiest way to enter Japan initially is with a spouse visa. The nearest Japanese embassy or consulate can provide you with an exact list of required documents.

If you have been married for more than three years, you can theoretically apply for permanent residence after living in Japan for only one year. In reality, however, most applicants on a spouse visa will have to wait for about five years until their permanent residence application is accepted.

More basics:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

visa requirements 2008/6/30 17:30
I came to Japan 3 1/2 years ago from the US on a 3 month tourist visa, shortly after arriving I applied for a spousal visa and the only thing I needed was my passport and proof of marriage. my wife had to sign a guarantee that I would not become a burden to the country. I received approval for a 3 year stay after 3 years I received a extension for an additional 3 years and again had to show proof of marriage when we asked why they wanted to make sure we hadn't divorced, we did have to show a source of income when I received my first alien registration card. hope that helps.
by wds rate this post as useful

reply to this thread