Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long can you keep Nori sheets? 2008/7/10 01:44
Would it be months or years? Can you eat them after 4 years if kept in a sealed baggie?
by lear  

hmmmmm 2008/7/11 02:34
im not sure about 4 years. it is food. im sure you could eat them, but they wont taste as good.

nori doesnt really last that long at my house so i wouldnt know for sure.

just buy new ones
by bustup rate this post as useful

not so long 2008/7/11 10:27
According to my mother, it lasts within a year if unopened. Once you open, you must eat them all in at most a month.
by nr rate this post as useful

dates 2008/7/13 02:44
Look for an expiration date. That's a good indication of how long it will last.
by Huso rate this post as useful

nori sheets 2008/7/13 03:09
Can you freeze the nori sheets? Is so how long will they last?
by rwj rate this post as useful

you can eat it 2008/7/13 12:24
It's usually perfectly okay to eat 4 year old nori sheets. You won't get sick or anything. Just make sure it doesn't smell especially poisonous due to some kind of unusual reason.

But it's just that the flavor of nori would have disapeared, or in other words, changed badly if kept that long. An alternative is to transform it into "tsukuda-ni". Simmer the sheets with soy sauce. Add sesame oil if you like. It will turn into tasty nori paste you can put over hot rice and enjoy.
by Uco rate this post as useful

To rwj 2008/7/14 03:34
I usually keep nori in freezer after I opened the package. If you don't use nori frequently, I think this is the best way to keep nori fresh.
by Re: rate this post as useful

Just 2008/7/14 04:54
Just buy a fresh pack. It's not that expensive, and why take the risk of something poisonous.
by Kile rate this post as useful

Sushi making kit, unopened 2 years 2008/12/23 04:30
Thank You. I was wondering,too. I have a Sushi making kit. Had it 2 years and never opened some items. It has toasted nori, golden lumpfish caviar, pickeled ginger,powdered wasabi. Neither the box, nor products show an expiration date.
by jdempseyarner rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/23 08:54
You can eat unopened, 4 yo nori. No problem. If the flavor has decreased, roast it for a few seconds over open flame. I use regular gas stove for this. Nori becomes as fresh as can be in a few seconds. Try it. It's like magic.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/23 10:02
jdempseyarner,

I think the nori should be OK (no harm, as Uco suggested earlier). Powdered wasabi should be no harm either. I assume the caviar is in a tin/can? Pickled ginger is in what condition? If it's in a plastic bag and has the pickling liquid in it, meaning, if it looks wet, I would not eat that. Oh, even if it looks dry, the liquid could have dried up over time... I would be suspicious on that one.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread