Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a undergraduate degree in Japan 2008/7/10 13:13
Hi guys, I've already completed 1 year at my american university and plan to obtain an american undergraduate degree in the next 3 years. I also really want to also get an undergraduate degree in Japan as this will open many doors for me in the future. I would like to know that if I really pursue the japanese degree, would I have to start over from 0 credits or can I transfer a big chunk of credits from my american university over? I will study abroad in Japan during my 3rd year at American college. I will then realistically decide if I want to go to school for another 4 years :( I apologize if there is a similar topic. Thanks a lot.
by JJJ  

huh? 2008/7/10 15:07
just do an american degree in japan either online or transfer to a university like temple.

don't bother with both a japanese and american degree, it will not help you anywhere despite what you may think. also if you do a japanese degree you will have to be able to speak japanese at a fairly high level. it would likely take longer or the same amount of time to reach that japanese level as it would to complete a degree.

just do a normal degree in english and do it in japan online or through a university that will accept transfer credits.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

what? 2008/7/10 22:23
Didn't really understand your answer. are you telling me to go to american university in japan instead of the one i go to now? I want to go to Japan, but I really love my current school so I want to graduate here first. Actually, are you referring to doing a masters' degree in japan online?
by jjj rate this post as useful

well then 2008/7/10 22:56
if you're going to graduate in the U.S. at your current school what's the point of getting an undergrad degree in Japan?

More than anything it will probably hurt you as employers will turn you down for being overqualified. Moreover it will cost you however many thousand dollars to complete and 4 years of your time, plus any additional time it requires to learn Japanese well enough to be admitted to a Japanese university.

Just come over here and teach English like everyone else once you have your degree. Once you're setup with an apartment and get to know Japan for a few months you can start looking for other jobs related to your field of study.

Exactly 2008/7/10 23:02
As stated earlier, what's the point of getting two bachelor's degrees? It makes absolutely no sense and unless you go to a top-class school in Japan, what kind of doors is it going to open?

If anything, enjoy that year abroad in Japan and if you like it that much, consider completing a graduate degree. From an HR perspective, just the fact that you have a year's experience in Japan would be adequate in terms of experience.
by Dan rate this post as useful

OK 2008/7/10 23:57
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely think about it, butI want to improve my Japanese to at least high school level (reading/writing, and history)so I think taking some form of school is a must. Maybe a language school?
by jjj rate this post as useful

yes 2008/7/11 01:12
a language school will help. there are hundreds of them in japan that will help sponsor your visa as well so that you can work here as you study.

you will want to achieve at least jlpt level 2 or 1 to be able to work at your average japanese company that speaks no english at all.

reply to this thread