Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

"I love baseball" 2008/7/14 02:31
I bought a t-shirt last year with this phrase (壱球人魂) written on it, front and back. Below the phrase on the front, it says (in English), I love baseball.

A literal translation of the kanji is "One sphere (ball) spirit of dead person".

I have two questions.

1) is this translation correct?

and

2) Am I missing something on how to interpret the kanji?

I seem to be having trouble transitioning from the literal translation to what it actually means?
by Paul  

... 2008/7/14 10:16
The phrase is 一球入魂 written with the old kanji 壱 for 一 (one).

Literally each of the kanji means "one/single," "ball," "put in," and "soul," and strung together the phrase means "place all your heart and soul into each ball (you throw)." It is a phrase for enthusiastic baseball players :)
by AK rate this post as useful

PS 2008/7/14 10:17
I hope that they have the right kanji - look at the third one carefully. It should be 入, not 人.

Thanks 2008/7/14 10:29
The kanji is definitely "人". So, I'm assuming that "I love baseball" is a fairly accurate transliteration, eh? Just wanted to make sure.

I find the translation of the kanji into English not that big a deal. My problem is translating the translation.

Thanks, AK.
by Paul rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/14 10:39
The whole phrase shows that you are enthusiastic about baseball anyway :) So that's quite OK, though the phrase is more for players, not for spectators.

Well, if it's 人, it's a different kanji from 入, which it should be (please look at the top carefully). that's the only thing I wanted to point out about the kanji itself.

2008/7/14 12:35
This kanji, "入" makes more sense than "人". It's probably a misprint.

Thanks, again.
by Paul rate this post as useful

reply to this thread