Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

family coming for 2 wks...JR train pass? 2008/7/14 21:50
My family is coming to Japan for 2 wks. We will go sightseeing but mostly use JR,Enoden and Keikyu lines.
Should they buy a JR pass in the States or should I just get them a Suica or Passmo(I use passmo but I usually drive) just curious about what would be the most economical choice...
thanks!
by kel  

Japan Rail Pass 2008/7/15 09:00
Kel,

You will need to calculate the costs based on your planned itinerary using HyperDia or similar. If you are just travelling in and around Tokyo, then a 7-day or 14-day pass probably wouldn't save them any money, but it's impossible to say without knowing your exact itinerary.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/7/15 18:40
thanks a lot! i guess i need to figure exactly where we will be going!
by kel rate this post as useful

JR pass or not? 2008/7/16 00:44
A couple of years back friends of mine stayed in Tokyo for 2 weeks. In the middle of that vacation they went to Kyoto for 3 days and used a 7 days pass as the price is practically the same as a return trip Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo. Back in Tokyo they used the pass to go to Nikko one day, Kamakura another and to go around Tokyo with the Yamanote. Going to Kyoto is just an example of course. Any place far enough would do. On the other hand, although 2 weeks in/around Tokyo is a bit too long as Tokyo doesn't have the wealth of historical sights many towns in Japan and in other countries have, there is a lot to see and do there.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/16 02:00
As mentioned not knowing your exact itinerary it is hard to say.

But off the bat, the JR Pass wouldn't be valid on Enoden or Keikyu trains to begin with.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread