Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving/Computer 2008/7/15 00:21
I'll be attending Temple University next fall and I'd like to bring my new computer with me. It's a desktop, but it's not huge. The monitor is flat-screen.

I don't think it would be safe to take either part on the plane, but I think it would probably be very expensive to ship. I'm also not sure if it's safe to send something as sensitive as a computer overseas in a box.

Before the suggestion comes up, I do have a laptop, but it's not powerful enough to do what I need graphically. And I have no money to upgrade right now. Also, this computer is brand new, and it would be a waste to only use it for a year.
by Kelly  

ship it 2008/7/15 11:28
Ship the computer with a company like Nittsu (Nippon Express). As you mentioned, taking it on the plane would be expensive, can easily be damaged in cargo, and you'd have to carry it from the airport to your new place of residence (unless you pay to have it shipped from the airport anyways).

I can't quote you on a price but it'd save so much hassle. Also, you can probably buy insurance on the shipment so that you're protected just in case the shipping company does damage it.
by Dan rate this post as useful

Nittsu 2008/7/15 23:49
Do you know if they have a special shipping for delicate electronics? I can't imagine they would throw it around or leave it sitting in the sun, but I'd prefer to send it as a special fragile if possible.

Though I don't know that getting it from the airport to my dorm would be so much trouble. :)
by Kelly rate this post as useful

to be honest 2008/7/16 07:21
trust me on this computers are not that fragile. if you have the guts to do this you can take the case apart, take the parts out and box them individually in some anti-static bags. then ship your computer over in pieces like that.

Otherwise you're looking at quite a hefty fee to transport it, you're looking at probably around $200 or so for an insured shipment. You could likely do it for under $50 by sea but it would be uninsured and would take up to 3 months to arrive.

A computer won't be damaged by leaving it in the sun as long as it's inside a box protecting it from direct light.

See if you can get your hands on one of Dell's shipping boxes, they're filled with foam you can use to ship your pc.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Box 2008/7/16 09:08
I have the original box the tower was shipped in, I could still use that. (Provided my cats don't shred it between now and next August.)

I think if I forsake a piece of luggage I can actually bring it on the plane. When I say small, I mean it's not much taller than a foot and a half, and about the same width. I asked the person who built it to buy the smallest case that could hold the parts.

I'm not bringing much besides clothes with me anyway.

Oh... 2008/7/16 09:09
I meant to ask, why would it be expensive to bring it on the plane?

tower only 2008/7/16 12:44
if you absolutely must, bring the tower.

don`t waste luggage space or money bringing the monitor & peripherals. for the time,effort, & money; you can buy new here.
by meh rate this post as useful

Computer 2008/7/16 15:45
I brought a desktop computer to Japan from the USA. Shipping options were too costly (closer to $300). The US Post Office was the best option, since it would be covered by Japan Post insurance on the other end.

But, I ended up carrying the computer onboard the airplane. If you make arrangements with the airline in advance it shouldn't be a problem. ANA was very helpful.
by Inago rate this post as useful

ANA 2008/7/16 23:02
Oh I'll most likely be flying ANA when I go. United charged me $400 extra to go home. Long story.

The monitor can probably be shipped, I think? I also have the box for that still. I can't imagine a flat screen monitor would be that expensive to send. I know I can buy one over there, but I already have it, and it would just be a waste of a monitor.

If I were to buy a new monitor over there, I assume the plugs and such are the same? I mean... the monitor I have says it was made in Japan...

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'll be bringing the tower with me on the plane. Clothes and DVDs can be shipped, and I'm not bringing much else. I'll gladly sacrifice a load of heavy luggage for a not-so-heavy computer. (I'll just come up with some sort of handle so I can drag it around.)

reply to this thread