Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese tea pot 2008/7/17 10:27
My step-mom's daughter-in-law brought her a Japanese tea pot (porcelain)that is all one piece. The "lid" does not come off, the only opening is the spout. She said there is a custom where the bride-to-be serves her future mother-in-law tea with one of these pots and must not spill any. Is any of this true and how can I find information on this pot for my step-mom?
by Margi Dodds  

. 2008/7/17 14:57
I was born and bred in Japan but have never heard of such a tea pot or custom so far.
I believe that it is easier for everyone if you could upload a photo or two of the said tea pot...
by . rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/7/18 08:39
Thanks for the imput. I asked my step-mom to take pictures and send them to me. She said it is called a Mother-in-law Teapot.
by Margi Dodds rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/18 10:16
The name of the teapot puzzled me further...
Mother-in-law is ŒÆ (shuutome) and teapot is ‹}{ (kyuusu) in Japanese, I've googled with these two as key words but nothing relavent came up.
I'm looking forward to the photo!
by . rate this post as useful

tea pot 2008/7/19 02:33
if the lid is sealed how does one put tea leaves and water inside? by the spout but then how does one remove ALL the wet tea leaves afterwards? sound like this tea pot was bought in a store specializing in fun and jokes accessories.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Chinese custom 2008/7/20 10:37
Never heard of such a pot but the custom is Chinese. I'm not sure if it's only in a particular region or country-wide but some Chinese-Americans still continue the custom.
by nanshi rate this post as useful

Mulan 2008/7/21 07:55
I think it is a Chinese custom because I remember in Disney's Mulan one of the matchmaker's trials was to pour tea without spilling.
by Brian rate this post as useful

I have one too 2008/8/17 17:26
I recently bought one for my mother in law from a gift store on Okinawa. The tea pot was originally bought in Thailand. I was told it did not have a lid because the nervous bride would have shaking hands when serving the new mom and the lid would rattle. So, this tea pot without a lid was used.
It has a hole in the bottom (with no stopper or cover) that you put water in and the water goes up and itno the pot that is divided so it will only come back out the spout. (Really quite interesting to see.) The tea is put in the cup and the pot is for water only. Hope that helps.
by Melanie rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/8/18 04:15
Thanks for your input. I will check with my mother-in-law and see if hers has a hole in the bottom. I have not gotten a picture posted yet, but will try soon.
by Margi Dodds rate this post as useful

Me, too 2008/8/20 00:23
I also got this teapot at a gift shop in Okinawa. I bought two, as gifts for my (future) daughters-in-law, as symbols that they don't have to be nervous about doing the "right" thing around me. I'd post a pic if I could figure out how!
by GA rate this post as useful

Also... 2008/8/20 00:25
the teapots came from Thailand...
by GA rate this post as useful

Mother in law teapot 2008/9/1 09:09
I love this teapot! I was in Okinawa as well and saw it at a gift shop. You pour the water in from the bottom, turn it over and pour. The water doesn't leak and it is a nice unique addition to any teaset collector!
by Synbar rate this post as useful

Tea Pot answers 2008/10/25 09:35
I got back down to Florida and looked at my step-mom's tea pot again. You were right, Melanie. It is from Thailand and it has a hole in the bottom. We tested it, we poured water in and turned it over. The water did not come out the bottom, but was able to be poured out the spout. Thanks for helping solve the mystery. I took pictures but don't know how to post.
by Margi rate this post as useful

Mother-In-Law Teapots 2010/12/18 10:24
I worked at the Gift Shops on Okinawa. The MIL Teapots are from Thailand. They are filled from the bottom. They have no lids as the new daughter-in-law would be nervous serving tea to the MIL and might shake. With no lid there is no noise.
by maglei rate this post as useful

Powdered tea 2010/12/19 03:38
The tea pot is for powdered tea, not tea leaves. Is there a tiny hole on top of pot?
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

powdered tea 2010/12/19 08:41
except that powdered tea (matcha) is not made in a teapot. It's made directly in the teacup/bowl by pouring hot water directly over the matcha.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread