Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

adding a name to japanese passport? 2008/7/19 10:27
hi,
i'm wondering if it's possible to add an "aka" or my american name to my japanese passport. i was born in japan and am on a greencard, but have lived in the US for most of my life.
the social security department needs proof that i "am" my american name, and the american name on my passport is sufficient. i dont want my japanese name on my social security card, since i've never used that name for anything and all of my school-related stuff is under my english name.

thanks!
by Paul  

. 2008/7/19 20:13
Only Official names are used on Government documents, just like for official US documents like my US Passport, uses my full name, even though I almost never use my middle name.

What name appears on your US Green Card? That is the name you should use for your Social Security information.
by John rate this post as useful

why dont you want the Japanese name? 2008/7/19 20:55
Save yourself the trouble and just keep the Japanese name on there. I mean, it is your name and part of who you are.

I've got my first, middle, and last name on my S.S. card even though I've only used my middle name (English name) whether it was for school records, insurance registration, etc.
by Dan rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/19 22:43
If you have official documents with your American name on it, then you can get it added to you Japanese passport; however, it will be written next to your real name in parenthesis.
by P rate this post as useful

Official? 2008/7/20 04:07
Thanks for your responses guys.
What would be considered official documents? Would school transcripts, school ID, W2 form...be considered official? All documents I have EXCEPT my green card, social security, and passport show my English name.

It's not that I don't like my Japanese name. I would love to have it as my middle name, but not as a first because no one ever calls me by that name (not even my parents). Even when I was living in Japan, everyone referred to me by my English name.
by Paul rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/20 09:31
Sorry, I don't know exactly what they will accept but my guess is official government-issued identification. They accepted my US driver's license. Call the Japanese Embassy to find out.

If you're able to add your English name, it will look like this:

Hiroshi Yamamoto (Paul Smith)

I don't think the SSA will print out just 'Paul Smith' on your card when your green card says Hiroshi...
by P rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/20 18:55
I have EXCEPT my green card, social security, and passport show my English name.

Green Card, Social Security, Passport, family register etc, anything on Government paperwork would be your Official name used for official documents.

It is just paperwork, again all my official paperwork have my middle name on it, but I never use my middle name in everyday conversation. Interesting your W2 form has your "American Name" but your Social Security has your Japanese name, I wonder how they process your taxes with the mismatch. You could always use your "official" name on paperwork, and just tell your friends you go by a nickname or in the workplace. Its never been a problem for me.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread